Mudbox 2018.2 Update with Dynamic Tessellation.

Here.

For 10 bucks a month this is looking like a viable alternative - in some cases - for Zbrush dynamesh. And in some ways… maybe even better.

All I saw when he started was dyntopo and how I usually start now since Roberto Roch showed me the way he works - and then I thought to myself ‘I need to make a Green OpenGL preset like that :D’

always cool to see features from blender to appear in mainstreem paid apps, after all those years

Wait… This isn’t even as good as what’s available in Blender already. Why would I pay $10 a month to have less features? BTW, it doesn’t work with layers and there are no Booleans to Blend pieces together. To me this just looks like, to little, to late. BTW, this was shown in a feature preview like 3 or 4 years ago… In Maya! What happened there?

Who will pay money for something that pixologic give you free? Also blender

http://pixologic.com/sculptris/

Does this mean the end of the effort to develop advanced sculpting technology for Maya?

Last I saw, Mudbox’s technology was supposed to be absorbed into Maya. That might be less likely now if Autodesk is bringing it back.

I am getting almost conspiracy theorist level suspicion here :slight_smile:

The way that dynamic topology tessellation happens is suspiciously similar to Dyntopo… I know Autodesk are not THAT crazy, but still… Dyntopo source code is out there for anyone to see… so… :smiley:

Blender developers didn’t discover the dinamic topology.

Yes, I know. It was supposed to be a joke :slight_smile:

Wouldn’t be the first time you’ve read something like that without being ironic.

Is this a joke? Mudbox. That’s a name I haven’t heard in a long time. I thought it didn’t exist anymore.

Oh wait. Sorry. Does Blender still have sculpting? I thought they ripped it from the code out of shame along with the game engine. :smiley:

My bad. I thought people would be interested in an app designed from the ground up for sculpting and painting.

On a serious note it will be interesting to see what the future holds for Blender Painting and Sculpting post 2.8 and Eeevee.

But my personal opinion about Mudbox, is well, I just like it. I always have. But it can’t hold a candle to Zbrush so that is the end of the story. But I am real happy it is getting some love. But as some have stated, it seems a little too little too late. But well, we shall see what happens.

No, Blender Sculpting is alive and well, and there looks to be a lot of fun once we get a more solid 2.8. But a tool is a tool, like it then use it. I use some really cheap white taklon brushes for oil and acrylic painting that I got for almost nothing, and that is just what I prefer to work with.

The link and feature improvements look good, and this one I want in Blender:
“Paint Brush Gamma Correct Blending option for linear color blending”

That would make painting in 3d view much nicer I think.

Of course you know I was joking. Right now there are other areas I would like to see improvements in Blender other than sculpting. Though I think it needs it. And it would be welcome.

Yep, its probably one of the very few AD applications I actually like, but I’m unwilling to pay a subscription for it. It’s got exactly the kind of layers implementation I’d like to see in blender BTW.

Yeah. In fact I like the entire workflow in Mudbox a lot better than Zbrush. But Zbrush reigns. I will go with the app that gives me the best choices for tools, features and performance.

It is interesting the response. I think some people will jump back on the Mudbox wagon. But it is starting to remind me of another app that fell way behind the times. More like existing users are feeling the love and the rest of the world has move on. :wink:

Okay, this is all very interesting but watch this:

That video dates from before the revival of Mudbox though (and it would make sense for Autodesk from a profit standpoint to make users need a subscription to it if they want to sculpt their Maya models).

I would also watch for the possibility of Mudbox’s cheap subscription price to start going up (the company is not known for pricing that is friendly to hobbyists and small studios).

Students get free Autodesk licences so this is good news for some. Mudbox is nice but the lack of dynamic topology for initial block outs was a show stopper. Zbrush is league’s ahead of mudbox and blender for sculpting but the mudbox ui is nice. Let’s face it 99% of the time we all use claybuilfup and crease!

The video does look a lot like Sculptris and also Blenders own system. Anyone know how Mudbox retopolgy routines match up against ZRemesher and 3D Coat’s Auto Topo ?
This dynotopo only seems relevant in how it works in a broader workflow. So you would hope that it’s reasonably quick and easy to get from this free form stage to a quad based sub division and layers based sculpting stage. All within the one package. I know Mudbox has auto topo features but I don’t know much about using them as opposed the other two.

ZBrushes dynamesh and 3D Coats voxel / dynamic topology systems are both so highly evolved now. And Blender is certainly no slouch either with it’s combined dynotopo sculpting and mesh boolean poly modeling approach.

Although I’m only talking about and comparing the totally free form, working up from a ball of clay sculpting stage here. As opposed to hi frequency detail and layered based sub D sculpting. I know Mudbox is good at that already. Come to mention it. Does Mudbox have anything like ZSpheres ?