what type of modelling its the best for characters creation

ok iam using blender for almost one and half year but i have this some maybe stupid question
if i want to create realistic character do i need to follow this kind of tutorial when i use refference anatomy of a female or male body and face?

or modeling characters by concept images with skulpting?

well, the answer is as always a bit tricky. It depends on your skills (or the will to get them), on the goal on which you are aiming on with this character (means: still image, rigged for posing, rigged for animation, rigged for games etc.), and the time you like to spend on this modell.

Both tutorial-flows are quiet upper level conc. quality. The main difference between both is - at the first you are quiet up from the beginning building a clean and topologically well done mesh; - at the seccond you are sculpting, which in general means, that the focus is NOT on toplogy, BUT on shape. First technic has quiet low-poly counts, seccond has quiet extremly high-poly-count.

Which one You use on what reference, whether photo or concept-art does not really matter for the decision, what technic to use.

The sculped character gives an amount of more work in case that you want to use it as rigged and animated char in any case. Because after the sculp process, you will use exactly the first technic in order to get a clean low-poly mesh. (re-topologiesing)

The advantage of the sculpting process is in general, that you can form out any possible and smallest detail in the structure, getting a texture out of this toplogie, which then can be projected/used on the low-poly mesh later on, with the effect, that from a render point of view, both modells will be exactly equal in sight, but the textured low-poly will be able to be handled much more less computer-force-intense.

So… it depends… on what you want to get out of the whole process.

I want my characters for rigged and animation
high quality characters

The pretty much standard practice for high quality work is sculpting, retopo, baking and painting. For animation in a video or film application you will want to learn to model (retopo) for subdivision surfaces. For game your model needs to be straight polygons. No subdivision. Well at least with current technology anyway. However open subdivision is offering real time tessellation. I believe game engines are starting to offer that now. At least I know UE 4 just got it. not sure how well implemented. But it is something to be aware of.

In general yes. Use anatomy references. However for realistic human characters there is no shame in starting with the staggering number of free resources available. Make human for example.

Use Zbrush. If you don’t have it, Get it. Use it. Don’t consider anything else, especially not Blender.

Zbrush has all kinds of start meshes as well.

But no matter what you do, use reference material.

Model every day for months. Work real hard at it for years.

And don’t forget to have fun!

Richard put the finger on the points!! Total agreed. You have to work hard, but without loosing the fun. So start easy, go on, set the top of the ladder always a bit higher as you think you can do things. Learn, learn and pratice, pracice.

:slight_smile:

Have fun - the success will come by itself.

P.S.: Yeeh, look at others, try to understand how they do… BUT! Find your own way.