Moeling topology for single-mesh countertop (Interior Design topology?)

so I’ve started playing with Blender not too long ago and I wanted to create a kitchen Countertop, yet I’m not sure about the workflow. Specially I’m talking about the creation of the ‘squares’ on the Countertop (the closet/handles/sink/etc).
Few questions regarding this:

1. I tried watching for some videos on how to make this correctly, but it seems all of them are simply using extra meshes and I want to create a single mesh (with only quad polygons, that is). Is there any tutorial out there someone can point me to that I missed?

2. As far as I know, I have 2 options to create such a thing:
    a. Ring Loops. I can create ring loops and align them so that I will end up with squares where I want, and then extrude them inside/outside to create holes, handles, and more.
    b. Extrude. I can extrude a face, then scale it inside and move on the face. This will also give me the result squares I’m looking for (for holes, handles, etc). This will create however less polygons overall. However, the result polygons (around the extruded face) will not be straight. Is that a problem? …
    c. I can combine the two. Sometimes use ring loops, sometimes use extrude.

I believe I should use c - but I’m not really sure. And even if so - how do I know when to use ring loops and when to extrude? Is there any other method I’m missing? Any more tips someone can provide?

p…s

• What category does the Countertop topology goes into? Is it architectural? Is it ‘interior design topology’ ?

Use images to help you explain, and upload an example .blend whenever the question involves one. That way people have an understanding what you’re talking about, and can inspect the model part more closely themselves and make screenshots when they reply.

Your question is about topology but you’re not showing any. Topology requirements come from target use (still, animation, game, 3d printing, other), pipeline http://www.upcomingvfxmovies.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/3d_production_timelines.jpeg, and modeling specifics like design/forms and workflow. None of that is mentioned sufficiently.

Because of all of that, everything you said only causes questions, assumptions, and guesses, not answers