Making a wood floor

Hi All:

Im trying to make a wood floor, similar to what Bartek Skorupa does in this video https://youtu.be/kAUmLcXhUj0
and want to build it out of individual planks. I have tried to use the array modifier, but the problem is, I’m using a procedural wood texture that tries to treat the whole array as one object, instead of applying itself to each individual piece of wood as a separate object. How can I rapidly lay the floor, without using the array modifier and not taking a huge amount of time. The room is 30 x 60 and so its a big place

thanks
TIM

Use an array and then apply it and separate the object into parts(P from edit mode or just type ‘separate’ in the space menu from object mode and choose By loose parts). If you are using object space for texture coordinates, you might want to center origins as well

Cool – thanks Martin, I’ll give that a try right now

Edit – works great for separating into individual objects, lets me get the wood planks lined up perfectly

This all proceedural stuff tends to make render times unacceptable. If you bake the proceedural texture of something like 20 - 40 boards and put them one after another into a texture file you can distribute the UVs of your floor boards randomly using my script here. You just need to have UVs of all the floor boards taking up all the UV space from (0,0) to (1,1) y coordinate being length and x width of the board. The script works on all selected objects. Might be useful.

Hi Martin: Thanks for the tip – I THINK I know how to bake them to the boards, but the rest of it im SURE I dont know how to do, could you point me to a tutorial or video, im still pretty new to Blender

Thanks
TIM