Tranversing the ether

More concept art for the space game I’m working on.

Can you explain what’s going on in the image?

I hope this isn’t what the gameplay will look like, mostly for practical purposes.
The image is so busy, I would get lost trying to figure out where everything is if anything moves even remotely fast.

You really need to establish a visual hierarchy, and limit the things you want the viewer’s eyes to rest on (example: Projectiles, Enemies, Player Character in that order of importance).

it’s going to be hard for some to grasp… There is a character being transported in a bubble…and it’s art… and it’s a concept I have used to help develop my game. I’d go into in further detail but I was already censored then banned from 10k hours FB art group. because people can’t understand it and trolled it and it got too many likes. Here’s another pic of the actual low-poly model that i’m using based on this concept art… This picture if for those who do get it. if it still doesn’t make sense…
I don’t recommend playing this game for some if it ever gets done right. It’s going to be one for what some may consider to be higher level thinkers. Apologies if there seems to be a bit of a harsh tone, But I am not getting tricked into debating the merits of my work, I think, if it’s not your taste, then fine. As for game play looking that way, I wish I could achieve it in a coherent way. In that picture there is just the ship and your imagination going on, nothing to fear, if your eye wanders endlessly about and you imagine weapons and monsters, doors and space, oceans and energy etc… it is intended. i think it’s my best work ever, i’d probably hang it on the wall. And I don’t feel the need to change anything in this particular piece. I just wanted do show off my main concept of the transport method roughly. I will likely post highlights and more art as it progresses. I do feel like there are a bunch of crybabies in the art community who tend to troll certain art styles they are jealous of or dislike, not saying those trolls have visited here… But I bristle when they approach. Ya I could do missiles and monsters and things that everyone does… But I like the exploration and energetic consciousness pervading dioramas and sense of resolute adventurous isolation , the awe absorbing intensity of the subject. As one peeing into the abyss, one filled with wonder and probabilities. Energy fields colliding.

I see potential in this but i think what was said previously about creating areas for the eyes to rest had merit. I can tell from what you posted that you aren’t really interested in criticism but as someone who has a pretty good hunch of what you’re going for I’d like to offer what I can to help it along. I get the sense that you’re trying to evoke elements of phosphene visuals which, if I’m correct, means that you have succeeded in getting that across. However, a closed eye visual field populated with phosphenes has quite a bit more black space. Even when intricate patterns overtake this entire visual field, a good bit of dark space is woven into them. I think it is often a failing of psychedelic art to over-represent the dazzling colors and patterns while overlooking the subtleties. This is why I don’t care for most of the work of an artist like Alex Grey. He’s a decent painter and I understand what hes going for but most of it verges on a visual overload. If you are aiming at a ‘higher thinking’ audience then you will miss them by a mile. Many of those who appreciate deeper thought realize that over-stimulating things are best left ignored. By far the most impactful elements of this image are the black regions. I think making them larger and more dynamic would give this image much more appeal, movement and narrative potential. Before you tell me that this is post-narrative or something, know that I’m not implying stories or characters but simply movement, emotional ebb/flow, anything. When I look at it in its current state I find myself wondering how exactly I might cross my eyes to make the 3D sailboat appear. I am curious to see more though.

Very good critique, I’m not against a good well spoken critique and I know I could do more with this piece, but I guess I did feel like I had stumbled on the Grateful dead poster or head-shop art look… and decided to rest there. After all, you don’t pass the Grand Canyon without stopping to shoot a few photos right? I don’t think I can put into words what I want to do, I just made a micro prototype, that my girlfriend and I are playing right now, watching her light up with interest and happiness playing it, tells me I am on to something… As far as higher level thinkers, it was kind of a joke, but, we’ll see…like games that get you thinking, here’s todays minimal and maybe laughable progress.

That prototype looks interesting! What kind of game are you going for, and what kind of experience are you trying to create with it?
Have you gotten the core mechanics nailed down and mostly polished yet? (If you haven’t, I’d advise polishing those before diving too much further down the rabbit hole that is visual style)

Well, we have some pretty interesting and fun mechanics so far, I have done 1 game before that is complete, I also have about 10 more in the works. So any thing I want to do is a snap. Just made some great improvements in the last hour or so, i am a good animator and coder, asset modeler and level designer… I just need a company to Hire me, or a professional team to pick me up i think. Or, I’ll just make the games and play them myself and post pictures of it till the team arrives. ya Idon’t want to worry a lot about style at this point ether.

Not trying to troll here, but I was wondering about the title. Is there something to “Transverse” or did you mean traverse?

Ether a or less commonly aether play \ˈē-thər\ : a medium that in the wave theory of light permeates all space and transmits transverse waves… So because its spans the etheric waves, transversing is ok I imagine. That trolling was warranted, however, the title is largely unrelated to the work here, there’s no official name for the piece.

Well, There is an area map now, stats to keep track of, some obstacles and enemies, I have the day off tomorrow, will hopefully get more done.