Blender One

You guys wanna talk about this ? it’s like redhat but for blender, it’s kinda exciting for pro’s who uses blender or the ones who wants to use it professionally

it start @09:47:00

and they have a website https://www.blenderone.com/

So now the excuse of “well, Blender doesn’t have dedicated tech support” is gone. This is a great thing.

While I applaud someone going into this space, after watching the video i’m not 100% convinced about their business plan though … it seems to be:

1. take latest unstable master
  2. merge patches other people wrote on top of it, that were not deemed quite finished enough to make into master
  3. ???
  4. sell enterprise support cause they like stability.

this is not redhats model at all, it actually seems like the exact opposite?

blender one : take unstable code , merge unstable patches on top of it
redhat: take stable code, back-port only essential security fixes on top of it

Maybe a clearer distinction that they provide CUSTOM support & solutions (based on clients situation & needs) would suffice, as it appears to be mistaken for PRODUCT support :wink:

Assuming they wish to provide professional service to the client by adapting (making changes to) the product.

I like the initiative, tho.

Hi guys! Thanks for the replies. This is definitely new territory for us as we tackle a world that we think needs professional blender support and integration.

LazyDodo: I hear you. Our initial goal is to provide professional support (patches, education on issues they may be having) for freelancers using Blender, studios looking at integrating Blender into their pipeline, and maintaining code that we feel are important to professional users: namely things like UDIMs. We wouldn’t want to support anything that is unstable.

I’d love to talk to you guys about it as we try to build this out, feel free to add me on Skype to discuss: daraand

davida, this is a step in the right direction for Blender, and it will be interesting to see “Blender One” grow.

Are you correlating with the Blender Foundation?

To be honest as long as this does not come directly from the Blender Foundation I do not think companies who make software decisions based on a risk assessment will give this much credit.

This is a good idea tho but people in the industry are looking for other insurances - sadly …