Losing my MIND!! BL loads one JPG but not the other?

Hello everyone. I am losing my mind right now, this is the type of stuff that really bothers me. I know there’s a super easy fix but searching google has resulted in NO help as the issue is too vague to explain. Here is an animated GIF showing how Blender will load ONE picture just fine, however the other image won’t appear!

I’m following the instructions for the BLAM-plugin, however this issue isn’t plugin related as I haven’t even initialized the plugin.

I’m following the 6-year old surely outdated instructions here … https://vimeo.com/35421849.

Why does one image load and not the other? They are both JPG images. The one that wouldn’t load was 19621229px. The one that will load is 20481272 so a resolution limitation is not the problem. Is there some obvious issue here like that I’m using an outdated methodology in these 6 year old instructions?

Or am I just not doing this right? Please help. One image loads, the other doesn’t. Makes no sense.

jpg images load in the movie clip editor just fine here. There’s no test files or other information so can’t comment on anything else.

There could be something wrong with the file. I have seen .png files renamed to .jpeg opening in some software fine, but not in another. I would simply check if the file is OK in another software like Photoshop or whatever alternative you happen to be using.

Yep, this could be cause the software like XNView loads the header of the file no matter what is the file extension and “decides” if the file cound or could not be opened (supported or un-supported format), but many other programs needs the exact file extension so try to check file-type (using for example checkfiletype.com).

Hey everyone, thanks for all chiming in. It was figured out that simply renaming the file to something less complex loaded each image that wouldn’t load. What a simple fix!

In explorer(looks like Win OS)>Right click on the image file>click “Properties” > click “Details” tab and lets see what you have.

Wow guys! Amazing, it actually turned out that renaming the file fixed it. Something about the file name “2D4BB7B800000578-3268390-image-a-30_1444570929747.jpg” doesn’t load in Blender! Try it for yourself. Although that’s no inconvenience, I’m glad I was able to get to the bottom of it. :slight_smile:

Looks like movie clip editor handles the opened image as a sequence, and the number in the sequence is too big. Changing the last number in the filename to something smaller fixes it. UV/image editor doesn’t assume it’s a sequence so that opens the image just fine.

https://developer.blender.org/T39801

So this has been on the TODO list from 2014?
Am I understanding this correctly?

Oh so you need to work with sequences of more than 2147483647 frames every day and you are absolutely outraged by this? :smiley: This should be their number one priority! How are you supposed to work with your sequences that are longer than 2 years at 30 frames per second?! :smiley:

Come on… :smiley:

That’s just a 5 min video on a new youtube framerate of 7158278 fps. Very important for cat videos, might not see the whiskers move on that kitty with anything less.

@ MartinZ,
Um no…not outraged by this at all. Just asked a simple question. Thought I might be misunderstanding what I read.
I never said or implied “that this should be their number one priority!”.
But hay…sorry for making you outraged by me asking a question.

Come on…take a chill pill…:yes:

I meant no offense. The bug is kind of a limitation and probably is not a priority. I would not be surprised if it stayed on TODO list for another 5 or 10 years as there is little need for it to be fixed. Rare unpleasant cases like this are a big inconvenience, but regular problem troubleshooting steps work fine in this case. One narrows down the problem to a specific file and then all there is to do is to find out what’s wrong with it. The long random filename might be a problem in some other cases like for example if the file’s path on the file system gets too long because it’s copied to a really deep folder structure. A long random filename is one area where it is logical to look for problems. Well, now we know it is anyway. :smiley:

Saw same problem when saving renders !

there is a limit on number of characters for file’s name if I remember well
how much don’t remember what it was!

but also on the characters type
which can be attributed to Blender or even MS window

happy bl