operation Corn-Squid

Hi! I have only just started with Blender and for my first “official” project, I’m hoping to bring a childhood character to life. He is a Corn-Squid–a hybrid creature made from an ear of corn and a squid.

Recently, I have been browsing the internet for tutorials on modelling corn; unfortunately, I haven’t managed to find any as of yet. So, the image above is my sloppy DIY attempt in modeling a chunk of corn. In short, my approach was to use a low-poly cylinder (16 vertices) as the model’s base, and to make the kernels from a particle group.

I would love to hear other ideas or methods of modelling corn, and I would greatly appreciate advice on how to improve upon my current model for better realism :slight_smile: Thanks in advance!

Attachments

many ways to make it

1 - manually one face by face !

2 - use dupliface

3 - Particles / face

show us what you did and ask more questions

happy bl

Thank you so much Ricky! I’ll be sure to test out the methods as soon as I get the chance :slight_smile:

As for what I did, here’s a brief description:

-I created a cylinder with 16 vertices and added 17 loop cuts
-made a particle group of shapes that vaguely resembled kernels

-added a particle system to the cylinder (1 particle/face)
(In hindsight, this actually seems quite simple, but it took me countless hours to do).

The issue with my method is the fact that I cannot offset the kernels in a way that is often seen in actual corn. Generally, the kernels follow a “brickwork” styled pattern:

Any ideas as to how I can mimic this?

may be add some randomness to the particles size
or have 2 material and add second particles system

can you share the model file
so we can test things to help you!

and why do you need to have high level of realism ?
what is the goal for this model ?
animation or photo realist !

happy bl

Thanks!
I’ve added a slight randomness to the size and orientation of the particles! Here’s the new file:

corn_test3.blend (1.28 MB)

And I guess I wanted a high degree of realism partly because I wanted to achieve a photo-realistic render, but also because I was quite curious as to how it could be done :slight_smile:

depends how you want it

but you could now apply the particles system
make a copy before just in case !

and then start using the sculpt tool to make some changes at different locations
and get something unique
or edit some part of it like rotate some lines of kernels manually and sculpt these a little

happy cl

here is example of a spiral kernels around a tube
done with array spiral

sorry cannot upload file it is 36 MB in size
let me try to reduce array size to 1
not working

your kernels are like 2.6 Kbits when applied
that is a lot of verts for such a small kernels
you could reduce that a lot and still get something smooth and nice

for the array you need to add an array with an empty and make a spiral with it then apply and copy it and rotate around a tube.

let me know if you need more info.

happy cl

Attachments

see more ways to use array

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=blender+circular+array

happy bl

Thanks! I’m learning a lot from this project!

I have reduced the number of vertices on the kernels and I have tried using the array modifier as well as the sculpt tool. The array modifier has worked out incredibly well :slight_smile: Unfortunately though, my laptop appears to be to old to handle the sculpt tool.

There are still a few minor things that I need to work on–although it may be a while before I can, but I will upload a picture or the file when I have finished to see what other things I can improve upon!

I would also like to apologize for the late response

take your time to learn the tools and practice a lot

show us the new kernel in edit mode or wire mesh
how many verts ?

happy bl

Here’s a side by side comparison of a newer kernel and an older kernel:

The older one had 42 vertices and the newer version has 20 vertices (it’s a big difference, but I think it might still be to much–especially if there is going to be a few hundred kernels on a full ear of corn; I’ll see if I can reduce it more)

do you still have subsurf on at what level ?

try to apply it and see how many verts too !

happy bl

The subsurf level was at 3, but I did try a test with the subsurf at 2 and 3 later on :slight_smile:

At subsurf 2 it was a bit blocky and had 290 vertices when applied

At subsurf 3, although it looked better, it had 1,154 vertices when applied

Is there any way to get an in between value? 290 vertices is a bit too little, but 1,154 seems rather excessive

keep it lower
try to add some smooth and auto smooth
it should look nicely rounded too
and less verts

upload file might test it

happy bl

I’ve put sub-div at 2 with the smooth shader and auto smooth, but the file size is still too big…might be that I have too large a variety of kernels in the array?

I’ll try to simplify it

was talking about the kernel itself
not the whole model !

thanks
happy cl

Hey; Add a ‘Data Transfer’ modifier to the lower poly one, target the high poly one. Don’t forget to ‘Generate Data Layers’, its like having the best of both worlds…

mimicing kernels is no easy task, I would have at least 12 different ones.

Thanks guys!

I been messing around with the Data Transfer modifier for awhile; I don’t believe I’ve done it right though, as nothing appears to have changed???

Here’s the file:
corn_kernels.blend (743 KB)

Sorry about being so late again

try with sub at level 1
that gives around 200 verts
and looking nice

from far away should not make any difference in render

that should limit verts count with 100’s of kernels

unless you need very high res one for some special purpose!

happy cl