Capitan Clay - (Clay Animation Character Desing)

Heya everyone!
Captain Clay (aka Alfredo) is my very first attempt to design a character in a typical clay-animotion style.
Alfredo was one of my oldest half-finished creation and I thought he would be the perfect candidate to start play with.

Since I’m working mostly on illustrated-like characters and ambientations, I’m not so much familiar with anything which aims to be (sorta of) photorealistic at all and the making of Captian Clay was such challenging work for me!

(AO render below)

I’d say this is far from being perfect in any way, especially about the pose (this is just a very quick stance made without any rig at all due to the lack of time!)
Anyway, I had such a good time on this project and learned something new and waaay different than my usual 2d-ish like stile, so…I’m really happy about the overall result.

Final render was made using Cycles, 600samples (it took a lil’ more than 15min) and some final compositing was made in Photoshop.

Here there are 2 images of Alfredo in his sandbox (or claybox?) playground, so you can have a look at him without any background or post porduction.

Thanks for checkign out this ol’sailor!
C&C are welcome, arrrrrrrrrr!

Davide

2 Likes

I mean… WOW. You fooled me. I thought it was clay. The AO version looks even more like clay. This might be one of the more impressive designs I’ve seen in 3D. It could be a poster for a indie movie. I have only praise so sorry if I’m like a super fan here :slight_smile:

wow very interesting results

Yeah, this guy DESERVES to be in a short animation! Really well done character you have there.

@BigBlend
Yep, the clay version is more “realistic” kinda-of…probably I’ve just let myself a lil’ bit far with the post production over the final render!
But hey, I’m happy I’ve kinda fooled you somehow and thanks so much for you appreciation!

@alf0 @Xraygunner
Thanks for the kind word guys! Who knows…maybe I could try to have the ol’Captain to have some little feature shorfilm :slight_smile:

Great Work Davide,

I like both, the character and the style.
Did you actually sculpt all the irregularities or did you use a normalmap for rendering?

Ryner
(blend available)

This is really nice. I love your style.:o

@derSpunk @vasant
Thanks guys! :slight_smile:
Normal map all the way! (I’m not really into sculpting anyway XD )
Some different texture were mixed togheter there: fingerprints, small scratches and a bigger noise for everall not-so-regular surface! : )

@burnin
This yellow jacket guy! (and loved it)
I remember founding a pic of him somewhere (pinterest?) when I was collecting references for the design!