OctaneRender 4 is released

after a few years of relative silence, this looks quite impressive

1 Like

Actually what I found rather more interesting is the movies it was used to render for.
That’s a pretty selection of high profile works.

Good for Octane!

Boom.

The AI stuff they’re implementing with both the lighting system, smart OOC tech, and the denoising (combined with the new free tier) is poised to cause some of the smaller render-centric software houses to go out of business (there’s quite a number out there, and a number of their users probably have good GPU’s for use in 3D work).

You mean render farm services?

Well if users don’t use Octane then not much of an issue - actually I am not sure how much Octane is used to be honest.

I mean vendors who sell their own rendering solutions (Indigo, Maxwell, Thea, Arion, Fstorm, ect…). Many have small communities compared to the big guns and user loyalty appears to be a sizable factor that keeps them alive.

Now you have Octane 4 coming out with a sampling/denoising combo that crushes them speed-wise (combined with its flexible node-based material system). I have had the thought that the market is overdue for consolidation based on the number of players (and pressure on the smaller vendors has probably been on the increase already with Renderman being free for non-commercial work).

well who knows about price for Octane and isn’t it mainly web based using their render farm?

i’m wondering if one day we’ll have some ai stuff implemented in cycles, vray & redshift & clarisse are implementing optix, Otoy did their own ai, can cycles follow that path too ?

I’m really interested in checking out Brigade engine. I wonder if how it works and how you construct games with it. Or, are they just saying they’re integrating the features of brigade into the new Octane?

i simply can’t even remember anymore for how many years i’d been watching similar octane/brigade demos

… but the land stayed dry

Will it be enough? Otoy has disappointed before. I left Octane years ago. The free version sounds interesting, though: Otoy must be taking the free competition (Cycles, ProRender) more seriously now.

When the free version hits the streets, I’ll check it out.

I’m looking forward to this, although they don’t have a Linux version out yet. It does look like the Blender plugin will be free as well, with a 2 GPU limit.

Guys, don’t fall for marketing buzzword bingo. All this “AI” stuff is just there to make it sound fancy, the underlying technology is not that special. I’m 99.9% certain that their “AI light” stuff is just the light sampling heuristic from that SPI paper (which is a proposed GSoC project for Cycles,by the way), and as for the “AI denoising” - well, considering how far they’re stretching “AI” in the first example, I’m willing to bet that they just mean “somewhat based on algorithms from the machine learning field”, which happens to apply to pretty much every denoising paper out there (oh, and Cycles’ denoiser of course).

I mean, seriously, this is just the usual marketing bullshit from Otoy, at this point I’m surprised they’re not announcing “Webscale Blockchain Rendering powered by AI for the Internet of Things as a service in the cloud” for maximum buzzword density.

How about that out of core talk? I’d love to see something that crazy in cycles.

I’m also interested to know how 0Kb in Vram is possible:

Lukas, they are: https://rendertoken.com :eyebrowlift2:

I mean, they are really good but I agree, they have some problem with an over-use of buzzwords. I was laughing to this “AI light strategy” too.

Sounds to me like it’s pretty much the same as https://developer.blender.org/D2056 with a bit of UI around it (the four sliders they refer to). “AI Scene” sounds like they have some visibility heuristic to determine what geometry goes to VRAM and what goes to system RAM. I hope they’re not trying to brand frustum culling as “AI”…

Send me that 8x Volta machine and I’ll run the tests in Cycles for you. :wink:

The ironic part is they already announced the blockchain part with their “Render Tokens” coin offering deal

well AI is a buzz word but AI or machine learning is also something that increasingly is being used too.

It’s a cat in a decorated sack.
Still, just a cat.
But is it alive or dead?
:wink:

What movies? All i saw was TV-show intros. And my guess is they where all made by the same studio.
But yeah, i absolutely love this new trend of maximum artistic intros.
Altered Carbon, American Gods and Westworld are my absolute favorites. They look really gorgeous.

Damn!
Absolute savage.
I love it. :evilgrin: