Cut NGON Face

Hello,

sorry for the maybe “noob” question, but (unfortunately) I am not working with Blender on a regular basis, instead I get to use it only every few months. So, I always get thrown back in the routine of the usage.

So, I have this NGON-Face:

What’s the quickest or the most efficient way to cut this face in a grid based on its surrounding vertices?

Yes, I know, I can do it step by step with “Fill Hole” (f) or the knife-tool. But I am not very fast using the knife cause of lack of routine (see above). And I am wondering if there isn’t a better way.

Next (bonus question), after cutting it and having kind of gridded plane, how to form the inner vertices (only z-axis) to kind of “landscape” – adding random values to z?

Thank you for your professional help! :slight_smile:

Delete the face, X -> only faces, and ctrl+F -> grid fill. Adjust settings on the operator panel.

Random transforms by selecting random and moving, moving 1 or more vertices with proportional editing enabled and random falloff, or with mesh -> transform -> randomize and normal as 1.

1 Like

Also if this is the only geometry you are using you can just create a plane to the size you want then using subdivide " W " with the toolbar panel open and set the segment count to the amount of cuts you need then at the bottom it has the options as well to fractal distort along the normals. After you are happy with the cuts and geometry you can then add a subdivision surface modifier to smooth out the mesh. If you need it smoothed out you can also add smooth shading to it.

Sorry guys for not replying for a long time.
I always planned to post a proper answer with screenshot and how I worked it out.

Basically I just did what JA12 suggested: Grid fill and randomize, this was just the perfect solution.

Thank you both for professional support!