Vertex Snapping FROM a specific vertex?

When in vertex snapping mode, I find it’s very helpful for pairs or single instances of vertex’s, however when dealing with an object on a whole I’m not too sure what to do. I’m coming off of maya as my first 3D modelling software, where you can snap from a specific vertex like so:

Is there any functionality like that in blender? I’ve looked at many videos online, and many seem to have a similar problem, where, for instance, you want to put a cube on top of a cube. but the snapping will likely snap it beside it. So in order to get around it you just move it above the other cube a bit. But surely there is a better way?

Not sure if it is what you’re looking for but you can set the snap target as “active”. The last element you selected will be the active.

In this screenie the bottom vertex on the left diamond is the active, pressing G to move followed by and axis will lock snapping to that axis.

Yup, that’s exactly what I was looking for. Thank you so much, sorry if it wasn’t clear.

Blender’s snapping is fairly extensive. Probably on a par with Maya. In some cases more steps maybe to do the same thing. But mostly pretty powerful.

I did a small series on snapping here:

Not too much on the mesh side but I am covering basics that apply to both.

It is hard for me to tell from your example exactly what you want. But I am sure you can do it with the various options available.