Degenerate tangent bases and nearly zero bi-normals

Hi all,

I’m very new to creating models (I’m more of a programmer however I’ve been asked to step in to do some basic models for a prototype of our project), so my knowledge on modelling is relatively minor at best. I’ve run into a problem where I’ve imported the attached model into Unreal Engine 4 and I’m receiving complaints that the model contains degenerate tangent bases as well as some nearly zero bi-normals. I’ve looked through some of the UE4 documentation but haven’t been able to find anything specific on those errors, so I thought I’d inquire on the modelling side. Could someone please explain what degenerate tangent bases and nearly zero bi-normals?

Apologies if this is the incorrect area to inquire for this type of question.

Thanks

Attachments

ProgressBoardInWorld.blend (495 KB)

Those are not terminology that are used in Blender. According to result from quick google search, those refer to problems with the UV’s

Each UV map contains coordinates for everything. Which of those are unwrapped to have a usable layout is another matter, but the coordinates are there. Most of them are in the lower left corner. Try selecting the inverse of what you’ve already unwrapped and use automatic unwrap method to get a UV layout where the coordinates aren’t on top of each other.

The model seems mostly ok, apart from

Unnecessary vertices. Select one, shift+g -> amount of edges, and dissolve with ctrl+x or from the delete menu x.

Concave polygons, marked with red. Split them to avoid problems with the triangulation, and with that, to avoid problems with geometry, UV’s and textures.