[Script Proposal] Sketchup "curve stretch" (grab/rot/scale combo) GIF

Hi guys, I am wondering if there is anyone who can help me realize this concept? I’ve been a Blender user for 10 years and still have not figured out a good way to do this at all.

These two GIFs will demonstrate one thing that Sketchup does very easily with one command, versus an awkward and imprecise attempt at the same goal in Blender.

My idea is to combine a script that allows you to rotate/scale/grab one point in a string of vertices, and manipulate the entire string evenly via the movement of the end point. Note: this is ideally a feature for minute corrections in long, flowing, geometry where you wouldn’t be able to ordinarily replace 100 vertices in a complex, already-existing shape. This then combines with the “Snap to Vertice feature”, allowing for a full emulation of the Sketchup feature. To be useful, this would be something that can be done in 3D or 2D settings (axis selection). I hope that someone has an idea! The fact that Sketchup has this so easily and Blender doesn’t has always bothered me.

And now in Blender, not precise and very awkward! This can/should be done in ONE step!

You must use the snapping tools in the same time, please!

it fails with snap:

No! -->
1st: Use cursor as pivot point for the scale function and move the cursor on the first left point of the curve.

2nd: You must select (choose the snapping mode on vertice) all points and the right-extremity lastly as active … before to scale the curve!

that’s exactly what I did if you look the gif: right extremity is white = active, 3D cursor is used as center and on left extremity. Try yourself and post a vid?

This would be a nice to have feature.

Blender can do this, too. I made a small clip showing how it’s done. This works for curves, too.
The “secret” is to use the active vertex as the active snap target.

[video]https://www.minds.com/media/824229611552632832[/video]

edit: Youtube finally processed the video:

Thks DanielEngler for your video VERY CLEAR!
I made this method very often…

looks good, but then, why does this fail for me and the OP?

https://imgur.com/sZSLau0.gif

Your arch and your cube must to be in the same object in edit mode, please join it for the operation and separate it then.

Now, I see the problem. My initial though was, that all vertices were on the same plane or level (what is that called in English?). In your examples it’s perpendicular to y-axis.

Here is a short clip with an empty as a helper.

[video]https://www.minds.com/media/824570647905746944[/video]

If the arc is not perpendicular to a global axis, you can use custom transform orientations.

ok, indeed, that’s the problem, it seems the snap system get’s it’s scaling measured in 3D space although it’s constrained on x,z plane. As soon as the arc and the point chosen for snapping are aligned, it works. Now, the question is, does it make sens to compute the scaling factor in 3D space when the transform is constrained in 2D space?

Well, I would say it’s unexpected behavior.