First time cycles

Hi, so I’m spending a lot of free time now learning cycles and how to do interior. I quickly put together a demo interior scene with some converted models and my own air purifier cad model.

I didn’t expect much from cycles (performance in interior lighting situation), but I was very surprised how well it does in combination with ao rendering and few tweaks in light bounces.

Some renders were using 512 samples and took around 10 minutes at 1080p some were 1024 samples and took around 20 minutes. I tried few 4K’s on renderfarm at 2048 samples and it rendered cheaper than competition in similar setting.
Even though I’m gonna be using renderfarm service for my commercial work I’d still like to hear if there is a way to boost the render speed even more(for quick previews and smaller personal work)

It’s not much and definitely not a full project so I won’t post in gallery forum, but still wanted to put those result somewhere :).

Also in all materials I’m using microsurface node from moony’s thread and I think the feature should definitely be in disney’s principled material.

Attachments

Awesome work and yes cycles is pretty awesome especially for all the adjustments you can make with light bounces and tweaking to get that super realistic “is that a photo or a render” look. Speed wise I am not sure what your pc specs are but mainly if you are rendering on a GPU make sure it has plenty of ram and not prone to overheating. Something like a gtx 1080 or 1080ti and you can even link multiple cards if needed. If you are using cpu rendering then one that has the most cores as it will let you render more tiles at a time. And now that blender has started supporting AMD you can look into the Ryzen chipsets as they have a higher number of cores than the Intel chipsets.

Now speeding up render times just by doing tweaks here and there you could look into some of Blender Guru’s tips on faster render times.

Yeah I was thinking about threadripper or ryzen, not sure how it compares to intel’s cpus with cycles. I guess there is no penalty with using these new amd in comparison with intel but i don’t know.

Also CG Geek has a YouTube video showing the performance of the AMD Ryzen setup as well and compares render times to that of a typical Intel setup.

Awesome rendering! I love the second shot!

It’s calm and peaceful!

Scrambling option in Lukas Stockner´s special builds will speed up your (preview-) rendering:
https://www.blenderone.com/support/
Groups a set of pixels and averages them out, works with Sobol and iirc with CMJ, just lower the value and see what´s happening (1.0 = scrambling disabled).

I am assuming you use branched path tracing? if not, there is huge potential to speed things up!

Thanks for the tip, gonna check it out.

Also, I haven’t used branched pathtracing and not even sure how would I use it (I guess I’ll have to check that out too).

I think that light falling across the sofa and the floor is so perfect, just the right amount of brightness without looking blown out. Do you have a link to the micro surface node (Moony’s thread)?

You´ll find general explanation information on the blender wiki for BPT, and here some strategies to get clean renders as fast as possible.
It´s meant for SA Arnold, but works exactly the same for Cycles, just keep in mind the sample numbers in the document are squared:
https://support.solidangle.com/display/A5AF3DSUG/Removing+Noise

Thanks for the tip.I don’t like the workflow using branched pt and endlessly tuning things. However it does help with sunlight gi bounces in interior and reflections a lot!