Snapping the Time Cursor to Keyframes

Hi all,

Is there a way to SNAP the green Time Cursor (see image) to keyframes, as I scrub through the timeline with the mouse?

Would be mostly useful to place the Time Cursor exactly where needed in the Dope Sheet.

Thanks!

you could select the keyframes you need to snap the time cursor and press ctrl+g. your mouse cursor needs to be on the dopesheet window. there is no sanpping while you scrubbing as far as i know.

2 Likes

Thanks Plet!
The CTRL+G is a good substitute for what I was looking for.
Although it would be good to have a scrub-snap mode IMHO…
Cheers and thanks again!

You can split the window and put a timeline at the bottom of the dope sheet if you want and use the frame snap from there. At least it does not require a key short. You can collapse it to just a strip and it will not take much room. I have always wondered why they don’t just add transport controls to the dope sheet directly.

Thanks Richard, sorry - I only saw your answer now!
I’m not sure I follow… Do you mean a VSE Scene strip? If so, I can only snap to the ends of the strip (using LMB Drag + CTRL).
Did you mean something else?
Thanks again!

I mean make a Timeline window which has a frame to frame button to snap to the nearest key frame left or right. Ususalky by default it is the lower window. But you can add one to the dopeaheet area by splitting the screen. Then collapse it down to just the transport controls only. Usually I use the timeline to scroll. And snap to a frame from there. But you can put one wherever you want.

Having transport controls in all editors would be a great feature request for 2.8.

By the way a little trivia for the younger people in the crowd. The term Transport comes from tape decks. Where it means the concept of physically moving the tape across the heads. Usually from two reels. And that mechanism is called the Transport. And thus Transport controls are those play reverse and pause buttons we have come accustomed to in all other media.

Wow, thank you Richard! Interesting lesson :slight_smile:
As for the snapping - ok… 3rd edit, silly me. Since this topic was written a while ago, I forgot my original problem was to situate the Playhead at a selected spot using the mouse + some snapping shortcut. The best solution I got above was CTRL + G, which will snap the Playhead to the selected keyframe.
But the more tools the better :slight_smile: !
Be well, and thanks again!

Yep. I got it. I think just scrolling the timeline as close as you can get it to the keyframe and using the “bump to the next keyframe” button is faster than having to select the key and ctl. G. In my opinion. But it kind of depends on what you are doing I suppose.

Anyway I agree a scrub snapping function wold be cool. :slight_smile:

1 Like