Adding texture map to a color node, Material issues.

Node/material Questions.

1. How do I add a texture map to a node that is using a color?
    The bottom most tube needs to be blue and have the logo on it.
    How do I add a Texture map to it?

2. Why does an object get too much light from the emitter while another object has the correct “look”?
    The stem (top most right tube) is correct.
    The crank arm is washed out unless I rotate it.
    How do I make it look like the render preview?

3. Best way to reduce noise in the image?

1. mixrgb with tube color on top, image color at the bottom, and image alpha as the factor. The image needs an alpha transparent background

2 and 3. can’t answer these

To me it seems your crank arm isn’t getting too much light, it is reflecting the light source.
Move the light somewhere else or make it not visible in reflections.

In any sort of product shots, especially highly reflective surfaces you mostly care about controlling highlights, to better illustrate and show off shapes, instead dead on flat light and random reflections and highlights.

Most of the time you don’t want to have your light source to be coming from the same spot as the camera in photography too, it rarely does any good.

I have uploaded the files.

I fixed the light so now the material on the cranks shows up (thanks).
But I can’t get the image to work.
PedalCycle-02.tga.zip (73.2 KB)

I can’t attach the TGA file?

Thanks for the help guys.

Attachments

test.blend (750 KB)

Always mind the color coding of the nodes’ inputs and outputs: A green (shader) connector must always and only be connected to other green connectors. In your case you’re connecting the yellow (color) output of the texture node to the green input of a Mix shader. That does not compute.

One way to solve your issue might be this, just as JA12 already pointed out:

When doing something like this, you will always have to ask yourself:
Do I want to just mix colors (= all other surface properties stay the same)?
Or do I want to mix shaders (= the decal not only has a different color, but e.g. does also reflect light differently or has a surface structure)?

Shown here is the “mix colors” approach. If you wanted to mix shaders, you would need a shader network for the decal material and then use the decal texture’s alpha and a Mix shader node to mix it with the bike’s base material.

Sorry for late reply. Work’s been crazy.
Thanks for the help guys. Cycles is very powerful but also very complicated.
In this example I want the tubes to be a color with shadows and reflections, apply the decal which should have the same shadows and reflections as the rest of the tube.
I think I’ve accomplished that.
I still have a long way to go.
For this project this will work as is.
Next I need to figure out why my renders are suddenly so grainy.