Am I the only one?

Who is not looking forward right now to 2.80.

Let me qualify. The new features of 2.80 will be awesome, but the changes to the GUI. Layers replaced by Collections etc. There are plenty of threads about how hard it can be to learn the Blender way of doing things, and having gotten used to, for example, layers, I will have to unlearn it all and learn a new way.

What makes it worse is, there was (is) nothing wrong with the old way. I don’t mind change, but change for the sake of change is a different matter.

Another wasted moment. So many threads around. Try & keep it together.

Advice:

Just start experiencing, practicing already.
Half an hour a day and by the time it is officially released, you’ll master both: the future and the past :wink:
Live now, judge when it ends. It’s an ancient knowledge, man.

“Carpe diem. Diem vesper commendat.”

no, you’re not the only one. I am also little worried about upcoming changes. I’m so used to working with layer bits … hopefully there is going to be equivalent of some sort or maybe someone is going to write an addon.
Quick switching between display shading modes is another crucial thing for me, using keyboard shortcuts for wire/solid/texture/material/render I don’t think I would be able to work without that. On the other hand why wouldn’t that be possible?
Really the only one thing I am looking forward is better file browser, it bothers me so much there is no proper asset management / material library in Blender. and wretched thing always resets its settings when I closed it …

count me in. shadings modes need to stay.

i could put up with the change if they put all the grease pencil stuff in another mode. maybe a single panel in scene properties for basic scribbles in 3d modes.

you’re in an industry that constantly evolve, if you’re unable to unlearn and re learn then you have a problem

As long as the new UI is merely different and not slower, there’s no point complaining. That said, I sure hope by the day release day comes they’ll have sorted out the temporary UI that’s in there now. Particularly getting rid of the rasterized viewport in Cycles mode is, um… well, I have nothing nice to say about that.

Count me in. shadings modes… layers.

Fast navigation clicks, keyboard shortcuts are essential to work fluidly, I hope the developers remember it.

Is there anything that indicates that those are getting worse with 2.8?

Worrying about change is normal. 2.5, Bmesh, and even Cycles had people that were concerned. Blender has never changed for the sake of change, though. If anything it adheres to broken and unfunctional things longer than it should.

My concern is always with what proposals wind up on the cutting room floor (it’s almost always usability). The stuff that makes it in is usually an improvement.

A thousand times this.

My proposal for collections was that it always has an ascending numerical order in the stack independent of the name of the collection, shown for example with a small number on the left of each collection or subcollection. Sub indexes for subcollections… 1.1, or 1.1.1, and so on.
That way you can move elements between collections quickly with keyboard, just like current versions. In addition perhaps that system allows users to create addons emulating the current system of layers.

Nothing will keep you from using 2.79 if it takes you a while to get used to the new way of doing things. I had a similar experience when Cycles came out. I was used to the old way. Same with the 2.5 UI change. For the longest time, I kept using 2.49 because that’s what I knew and was comfortable with, but I eventually came around and learned.

—Copied from the 2.8 thread, but it applies here as well—

Oh boy, where have we seen all of this pessimism before?

I remember when a number of people crowed loudly that 2.5x was destroying the Blender they loved and cherished, thinking the overhauls were a step backward. Fast forward to today and we see what resulted (more users, studios using Blender, and a Blender that is close to the commercial apps. in many areas).

UI and workflow changes can be scary at first, but we must remember it benefited Blender greatly the first time it happened. Now for the complaints that certain weakpoints aren’t being addressed, keep in mind that when you take into account the BF’s resources and the massive number of improvements that can be made, it’s not practical or perhaps even possible to address every personal pet-peeve and pet feature request in one go (hence the talk of multiple 2.8 releases).

@Ace Dragon, with respect, this was never about pet-peeves and and pet-feature-requests. Both features that have featured prominently in this thread, being the current layers system, and viewport shading are existing features of Blender, that work well, and aid workflow. In the current builds of 2.80, both have either been changed radically, or abandoned.

I get the point that requests for something that isn’t there may or may not get listened to, but changing core elements that work well for, as far as I can see, no good reason is a different matter.

Adapt, evolve or find another job/hobby this is the name of the industry and always will be when we are dealing with the new tech. Without constant change we would never be where blender currently is.

To the OP.

I am concerned about picking it up and learning it…but for me it is inevitable…there will not be all that much to learn if you are already a competent blender user…but there will OFC be a slight learning curve and workflow changes…the workflow changes will be the hardest to overcome…once you get used to doing things a certain way…it makes it more difficult to change…but//as I stated…we will learn :slight_smile:

Most of the stuff will not change. There is a lot of stuff in Blender. If you know how to use a lot of it, the things that change will only be a small percentage. I think it is going to be very easy to learn all the new things while working and it’s also going to be very exciting. I can’t wait for it to be honest. And it’s not changing it is improving. I think most of the changes are not something you have to learn by studying hard, you just get to find out how they are different from what you know. It’s kind of one time deal - you see it and you know: “oh, so this thing that I know how to do in the old version is now done this way and it’s now 3 times quicker and 2 times more awesome…” It’s usually instant and effortless and also exciting because it’s easier and better. Think about features that get added in smaller versions like denoising for example. I don’t remember learning anything - just saw where the new buttons are and it now renders slightly faster and cleaner - that’s it. It’s just that there will be a lot of stuff - but that means it’s going to be a lot of fun. I don’t think that I ever was that happy as a kid when getting a new toy, to be honest. :smiley:

I recall similar backlash against 2.5 I think. Turned out that big change was the best thing to happen to Blender.

before 2.5x, I hated Blender. I could not wrap my head around the fact that people actually use it for anything. Of course, I now realize that this was foolish as hell. The ground-up redesign of the UI is exactly what got me interested in the first place, and I stayed for the communi–well, I stayed for the cool updates and stuff. Blender was just catching up to the software I jumped from (Maya) when I started using it. It’d just recieved Ngon support, I believe, when I started using it seriously. I remember pushback against that too.

I’m starting to see the pattern that whenever there’s pushback against a new Blender feature, the program is about to get a huge shot in the arm.

What?

WHAT?

W H A T ?
H
A
T
?

There is EVERYTHING wrong with the current/ old layer system. It is the only thing about Blender that I would call Objectively bad. It’s a hindrance to workflows. People who work fast in blender work around its layer system, not with it. Its only advantage is being able to rapidly switch between layers with the number strip, and even then you have to use an uncomfortable combination with Alt to get to the bottom row.

First of all, the collections system afaik seeks to unify the render layer system with the actual layers in a way that doesn’t require making sure you tick corresponding unlabeled small buttons, which is already a huge step up. Plus, you can have more than 20 “layers” now. PLUS you can actually name your layers and not need an extra addon or window for it, it’s just in the outliner. You can also use outliner features regularly reserved for individual objects for layers, like making something unselectable. Also the most important thing of all: Nesting.

NESTING.

LAYER FOLDERS. LAYERS IN LAYERS. If you don’t see why that’s important… man, I don’t know what to say to you.

2.8 with its collections will make it much easier to;
open up an old project with correctly named collections and to get running in a short time.
Sharing your blendfiles with others gets easier since they don´t have to guess what the collection has in it.
Working in a team gets much easier with named collections.
working on a complex file which has more than 20 collections.
As others have said it; nesting collections is cool too.

2.8 is in evolution. You are looking at a baby and saying : " That body sucks. Head is too big. How are you supposed to walk with that ? "
If you are judging 2.8 development too hard to follow, don’t follow it. Work with 2.79 and wait a 2.8 stable with teaching environment refactoring.

There will be people to write books, tutorials or produce videotutorials.
You are not forced to follow dev turpitudes, day by day.