Nexus PBR Shader v3.0

Soon I plan to post an updated version of Nexus PBR Shader.
Now I think to upload it for free or put $ 1 (symbolic price). What do you think about it? And did you Use the old version?
I continue to develop it because I am not satisfied with Principled Shader. The differences I will show in the future.

We can also offer what you would like to add to the Shader.

Did you test it’s efficiency?

Personally i prefer specialized, dedicated shaders VS uber shader.
Simply because there’s no overhead once a scene has hundreds of shaders in…

Otherwise, i agree, Principled is lacking too much on one hand and has too much on the other.
Activating/Deactivating parts of it should also be optional (ie. pxr surface).

Q

1. Are you missing anisotropy?
  2. Do you have fresnel & micro-roughness complementing each other?
  3. Any plans to integrate iridescence?

I checked its performance compared to the uber Shader and Principled. Render speed is almost identical, the difference is + - a few seconds. I haven’t added anisotropy yet because I haven’t decided if it’s needed or not,. About iridescence, meaning interference? (like a soap bubble, or gasoline on water).
If you want I can make tests with the same material on which any object is to compare the speed of the renderer. In this version I cleaned node group from all superfluous and as much as possible simplified. Removed the paragraph completely Horizon Smooth because in practice almost never used.

To simulate the micro-roughness was previously used item Horizon smooth. Now the same effect is not difficult to achieve in other ways simply using roughness input. Fresnel works with all surfaces correctly. If I understood the question correctly.

Like in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z01biJCEiKY

Here some Fresenel comparison Nexus vs Prinsipled from House Render work https://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?446682-House-Render
Nexus

Principled

What is the real difference? The wood seems to be a bit darker but I don’t see nothing different otherwise.

Love the interior renders in the forum gallery.

Thanks! Actually the differences are many, but in this case I really don’t like the acting of Fresnel reflection, is clearly visible on the top lid of the chest, as if they do not exist at all, and to set normal intensity will not work.

In reallife they looks like

Let me test it so where could I buy it?

I can give it to you for free for tests (by email) if u like it u can donate here https://gumroad.com/products/caFQw/edit (but on gumroad uploaded the first version of shader)
And now it is installed in the form of addon (. zip archive)

I’m interested as well in testing! :slight_smile:
I’ll send you a mail as soon as possible, and in the meantime you should remove “/edit” from the URL you provided it gets to a 404 URL…

Those images above really show poorly any difference. It feels like difference in tonne mapping since chair is also darker or is it shaded using your new uber shader? Except that extra extraction - nice.

About roughness… great! We understand each other :slight_smile:

Iridescence/Film Interference & anisotropy and you got an instant deal :yes:

Also very interested in testing it for time being.

If the Nexus shader is using the standard glossy shader - then the difference is that the energy conservation issue with Fresnel was ‘fixed’ in the principled shader, whereas it’ll still be present in the Nexus PBR. Hence why the top of the cabinet using the Nexus shader appears lighter.

If you have a material with a high roughness value - using fresnel will result in bright haloes at glancing angles. The principled shader corrects for this by toning down the fresnel effect as the roughness increases.

There does however appear to be another way to achieve this correction - using micro roughness.

I found whilst experimenting and developing a microroughness node group - that simply implementing microroughness automatically fixes the fresnel halo effect too.

If the OP wants to look into implementing micro roughness - they might want to take a look at this thread (in particular the node group in post #51 - and the tests on the last pages of the thread.

Here is a comparison of the three - all with equivalent roughness values. The material is a simple black diffuse/white glossy mix.

Front - normal glossy shader with Fresnel (showing the bright haloes on the edges)
Middle - Principled shader (showing the halos have been corrected for - but roughness is uniform across all view angles)
Back - Microroughness node (showing sharper reflections at glancing angles and also haloes have gone too)

Funny some time ago I also created my own PBR Uber shader,but I dropped it because Principled came, looked mostly the same and I prefered to to the stuff it couldn’t do with Nodes instead having a huge Nodegroup in all my projects. I think technically it was not bad - appart from the usual PBR stuff, I implemented micro Roughness with the infos from moony, Beer Lambert absorption, correct Fresnel Roughness, Fuzz (Rim) and some physically incorrect but magical glow effects. If someone wants it for Refference I can upload it, but as I said, I dont find it very practical in production.

I’d like to take a look StuntKoala

Here you go: https://sftp.hs-furtwangen.de/~storlsch/files/misc/PBR_Uber.blend

First of all about the energy conservation. I developed a bunch of nodes that works almost equivalent to Substance Painter (based on taking this program because I wanted maximum similarity). Also checked on Iray renderer.
AUTO IOR and AUTO Specular is responsible for it. The picture shows a comparison of nexus and Principled

As well as for the flexibility of settings in different situations, these items can be disabled or enabled. To work with specular maps, it is enough to turn off AUTO Specular and put into Specular input this map.

and thanks for link to microroughness thread, I will ckeck it

oh sry here link https://gumroad.com/l/caFQw
and I sent you a download link in private massage

Image of distinction seems to have been only tables, if you compare the chairs, here.

About the interference I had previously created a Thin Glass Shader and this effect is achieved due to the noise texture (But this is not quite a correct solution).

And what about adding anisotropy I think then, if there is demand, we will add.

And here’s a comparison of performance on the example of a simple scene.
Nexus 49s

Principled 1m05s