UV Maping in Blender

Hey gu,

Still i’m learning And I feel like UVMapping is a forgotten tool from Blender…
I am Glad that Textools is now part of the Addon but overall how I fell it, it is a very bad Uv Mapping tool

I know With technology evolving soon enough we might just not do anymore any Uv mapping for Games…
(We are already thinkning about it for our futur projects)

But when I look at anything else Blender does, I feel like there is nothing good about it.

mabe I am missing something.

Cheers

What specifically do you not like about the UV tools in Blender and Textools?

IT’s true that UV Editor is abandoned, but it’s usefull anyway with a few addons. The only problem that I see is the lack of modern packing system.

I am from Maya and max. I’ve been Using them for nearly 15 years now. so it is hard for me not to compare all of them.

Long story short I have no idea how it works :slight_smile: I just feel like there is no tool at all like relax Uvs brushes to unfold smmothly mostly everything.
I havent look at it but if i compare BLender Uvs to Maya it is miles behind.

Textool is a great addon but still it feels empty.

I have nothing much to say im in a learning process.

I tend to do my UV work in modo, as I find it does what I expect, and doesn’t seem to be ‘missing’ something. It does have a “Relax” function and other tools. I don’t like it for a host of other reasons, and prefer Blender and Lightwave, but for UV work, modo.

Sounds like you didn’t want to bother learning the tools before discounting their abilities…
Blender’s UV tools are rough around the edges (like most of Blender) but are entirely capable.

UV editor may not be the best, but it is hardly bad. Judging by how new you say you are to Blender, it is more than likely that you don’t know what UV tools Blender has to offer, before even touching addons.

Sculpting/smoothing
You don’t need sculpting. The be-all end-all Live Unwrap and Pin combo has made UV sculpting excessively inaccurate and redundant, unless, of course you like to manually smooth stuff.

You can already do automatic unwrap using UV Smart Project. Not sure what you’re referring to.

no It’s not that i dont want to try, don’t miss understand me I havent unwapped anything yet.
I was just looking around. For sure I’ll take a look at it soon enough.

if it is good it is good :slight_smile:

I was just looking for a way to cut and stitch Uvs edges and didn’t find it. ill have to look at some tutorials

Select edges > add seams > select faces > unwrap.

+1

The unwrapping algorithm in Blender is really powerful and the workflow quite fast. You can also use the pinning tool to clean up tricky areas and have entire models UVed in seconds. Packing is an area that requires attention from the devs (hopefully for 2.8) But there is some paid addon around that does a good job for the time being.

And textool addon gives you the same tools as maya or max.

I have a tutorial that shows the general workflow. It includes stitching.

Very nice, in-depth tutorial, thanks for sharing. Bookmarked for future reference!

Blender UV tools are very comfortable and powerful. However when you’re packing big models, especially for games where UV needs to be optimized, you cannot just rely on Seams>press U.

What’s lacking is:
a) Better RELAXING so any modeling changes > Relax UV would remove distortions without need to reUV. Relaxing is not working atm.
b) Better Packing including filling Empty spaces and Packing only Selection:
https://blenderartists.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=513732&d=1517473516&thumb=1

https://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Dev:Ref/Release_Notes/2.62/UV_Tools

I Love this comunity! The most responsive Ever !!

Thanks !!

The other ‘feature’ that I don’t find in Blender, but appreciate in modo (besides UV Relax), and which I would be happy to have Blender do the same . . . In UV space, I can select an edge, which turns ‘yellow’ and it’s corresponding edge to be Sewn, is in light blue. If it looks useful for me as a UV map, I can Choose Sew, Move and Sew, AutoFit. I can select a whole series of edges, and do the same operation, then Relax the new configuration. With those two(2) on board, I might just use Blender for that operation anyway.

Indeed so you can see the connecting edge . It is very useful