Is there anyway to relax the UV mesh?

Hey,

I’ve unwrapped this object and probably cant fully straighten the map without causing insane stretching given the shape of the piece - however I wanted to know if theres a way to relax the pinching on some parts of my model, would I have to make more cuts… and if so where? Or would it be fine?

Sorry, I’m still a blender newbie to unwrapping!

12.blend (2.15 MB) << Blend file

Attachments

Well, I suggest to use another Unwrapping mode… (hope the pic is self explaining)

You will see the difference in UV-Layout on this one…

And the result is much “smarter”:

The other thing to mention: You are not using seems… Could be a good idea to “play around” with this also.

Have fun

Post Edit: This is “only” a quick and dirty other try… Keep an eye on streching areas. As mentioned marking seems in order to “assist” the unwrap-process would fix those things. Also to adjust the sizes of the single parts of the UV within the UV-editor would help in some cases.

Hey Mike, I had thought of doing it via smartuv but sort of wanted to keep a continuous looking texture… then again I want to export it to substance painter… so does it matter??

No, it does not matter. What matters is that you have no streching, and no visible seems. But not seems you do for unwrapping, but “seems” where the texture “seams” to be interrupted. So in Your case, f.e. the part of this V-shape-starting upheaval, might be an issue. I would seperate this region by putting a seem arounf this area. Same thing at the part (left and rght - top) you marked in your picture, I would set a seem at any singel segment, in order to flatten it out.
The continousity may be also lost by the edge-parts, which are not straigth linear, but rounded in the uv-editor. Everything depends on what you intend to “push” into the UV. If there will be a noticable pattern, it might be tricky, if you only use some sort of evenly distributed texture like “cloud-texture” it will not really be noticeable. You have to “play around” a bit, with the final texture/picture.

BTW: If you exporting to Substance, you will “over-wright” the uv-content anyways. I think it’s only the task, to do it in the way, that you have no streching… means the checker-pattern does not look “deformed”.

Many thanks again Mike. Very informative!