Rigging a Lamp-Mesh is moving upward while trying to parent it to bone.

Hi, everyone!!! I am new to Blender.So it may seem a silly question to you what I am going to ask now:(.
I am trying to build an animated lamp following Udemy tutorial. I have made a bit of that lamp and trying to rig that portion.Problem is, when I am trying to parent the upper arm of the lamp with the corresponding bone.It jumped up a little bit upwards.I know the solution is simple but I can not sort it out.I have applied mirror modifier to that upper arm mash.I have attached the file.Thanks everyone in advance.Have a great day!!!Lamp_faulty.blend (538 KB)

Hi, and welcome to the forums!

First, thanks for posting a .blend file and describing the problem in detail. However, in the file you posted the arm is parented to the bone, and clearing the parenting doesn’t cause the bone to return to it’s start position. So I can’t really re-produce you’re problem. Do you have a copy of the file before you parented the part to the bone? Could you post that file?

Randy

It would be helpful to save the file in the state before you parented to the bone so we can see what happens.

EDIT: oops. Forgot to refresh the page. Sorry. Wrote this hours ago. Same as above.

Hi and welcome to the forum as my good friend Randy has said.

I have looked at your file and noticed the following:

1. Your meshes have unapplied rotations and their origins are not at the centre of rotation of the mesh, the last point is not critical, but makes life easier for “Bone” parents:

1. Your armature bones have two issues; the bones are not in line when viewed from the side, just look at the left view and you will see the discrepancy, also they have weird bone rolls, cause by the construction techniques you used:

You know it is far easier to model the meshes upright i.e. along a global axis and then rotate the parts to the required angle in EDIT mode of course, rather than trying to work out where they should be when leaned over. So, I took the liberty of copying some of your meshes and remaking others, along with a new armature to show this, these are on level 2. I also added some empties to aid with the construction, like construction lines in the old days of drawing things on paper - yes I have done that. Also it is FAR EASIER to model the whole thing upright then pose the final look afterwards, so I took another liberty and made this on level 3. I have added some keyframes to this armature’s bones so you can see what I mean about posing it.

So here is your blend file: Lamp_faulty.blend (688 KB)

With my mods, just press Play in the timeline to see it running. You need to be more precise with your construction to get these things to work, I am not familiar with the tutorial you used, and you haven’t linked it, but I have to say there are a lot of really bad tutorials on the 'net - particularly for mechanical modelling. that were made by people who have never been draughtsmen…

Anyway look at the file and ask any questions you may have.

Keep up the good work, Blender is not easy in the early stages, but stick with it, the results are worth it.

Cheers, Clock. :slight_smile:

EDIT:

Your lower arm jumping when you remove the parent is almost certainly caused by the discrepancy in the Object Rotations between Armature and mesh, make sure if you rotate anything in Object mode that you apply the rotation by selecting the object (Armatures in Object mode) and key CTRL+A => “Rotation” - same applies for scale as well, although I noted you hadn’t done that. These things are the first things I look at when trying to solve problems like yours - also bone roll and miss-aligned Armature bones.

Thanks Mr. Randy for looking to my problem.I am sorry that I don’t have a copy of the file before I parented the part to the bone.But, if it happens next time I will try to save it before parenting.However, thanks a lot have a good day sir!!!

Thnks, Mr. Culver, for your kind reply.I will try to save the file before I parent it to the bone next time. I should do that before.As a newcomer, it is giving me a hard time to sort out the work flow.Anyway, thanks and have a day sir and wish me luck.And another thing sir.Could you please suggest me some tutorial on blender?

Thanks Mr. clockmender, for your kind reply.You have wasted so much of your time to look up on my problem.Thanks a lot for this.It really inspires a newcomer like me.Next time I will try to follow your advice to avoid my problem.If you could suggest some tutorial on blender, it would be very useful for me.Have a good day, sir!!!