Random procedural ?

Doing a bunch of easter eggs. Is there a way to random select a procedural ?

Does this help?

In the last node group - you could plug a procedural texture into the various colour slots.

there are lot’s of different ways… probably the easiest is to use the ‘object_info.random’ to mix different textures with the help of some math nodes.
The random value is in the 0 to 1 interval, which means that each object will get a random value in that interval. For example, setting something like ‘if random > 0.25, choose texture B, else texture A’, will make 25% of your objects to receive TexA, while the other 75% will get TexB.

BUT! (shit there’s always a BUT) Only! if you did not duplicate the eggs as parented on the original, then this does not wortk, cause the duplis have the same ID as the original. :-9 (Or better: technically the duplies are only empties)

Hummm… It’s working here (or didn’t I understand your description)!
Here’s an example:

(the right side are just references to the ones on the left)

Now, what can happen is if you join the spheres into one single mesh, then the random will have the same value for all spheres, as they are seen as a single object. In this case, UV maps can be used to give special coordinates to each sphere (or vertex colors, or whatever), and we can use those for some randomness.

Don’t forget you can also use object info/random to create three random values using a noise node (object info as vector, 0 detail and some fraction in distortion (i.e. 42.5, 0, 42.5). Split the resulting color signal and scale them to between values using a color mixer with value nodes in the color sockets. That can now drive the values of similar looking procedural controls;

I.e. with two procedural types it would be:
Object info/random > 0.5, then

• Red noise -> Musgrave Scale
  • Green noise -> Musgrave Detail
  • Blue noise -> Musgrave Dimension

Otherwise (random < 0.5), then

• Red noise -> Wave Scale
  • Green noise -> Wave Distortion
  • Blue noise -> Wave Detail

and so on.

AArrgh… shit! Secrop. (I should not read and comment in her after 22:00 h) It’s my fault. You clearly talked about “Object_info random” and I only red “object_id”… Sorry. My fault.

You are absolutely right.