Good bye BGE - Let's see what will be the Interactive Engine

https://developer.blender.org/T54389

https://github.com/UPBGE/blender I am not giving up on it,

I intend to raise money to pay for forward+ light cuts using bvhtree and merging mesh editing api as well as mesh export ability and texture saving abilities, (also cascaded sun shadows and parallax corrected cube maps)

@BluePrintRandom: Good luck, but don’t forget that “Blender is only here for content and assets production”. This means once you finished your game in bge, you’ll have to export it to unreal engine to be able to export it on Android

I don’t care what bf wants, we have our own repo.

fork them,

also android is a weak platform we aim at later, for now we already have a really really nice engine,
best to just keep making small upgrades and diverge from BF.

It is not to be seen as a design proposal, it only states our vision of how to move forward with the project as a whole.

Well…let’s see if BF have the balls to remove the BGE. It will lose a lot of audience including me and a few thousand people. The interactive mode will not ever be used as wide as BGE is now. :wink:

@haidme: let’s see…
@BluePrintRandom: I think I’ll fork blender 2.49b and try to make eevee’s shaders work inside (I mean, all what I say is Irony)

eevee is great and all but we are not far from that kind of quality using tricks in upbge

(parallax corrected cube map reflection probe grid)

also rendering the ‘long draw’ to a cube map during the logic step is another thing that could help us, and cascaded sun shadows.

I am already approaching fallout new vegas level quality with a shoestring budget.

we are not missing much.

I have worked with unity, and unreal and they are not really all that different.

what they do have that we don’t I already made in ‘Team control’

[‘templated’ interaction systems to ensure portability at the expense of flexibility]

I aim to have a stock FPS, TPS, RTS, Vehicle, and Space fighter templates with modular pieces up quite quickly.(that are far easier to use than ue4*)

I understand their concerns. Of course it is out of the question to keep the current BGE inside Blender. However, they may and probably will propose an alternative. UPBGE or something else. A separate partly integrated engine (no Armory/Godot…but pure BF FOSS engine) For now, UPBGE is the best option.
I really don’t see why someone will lose effort to make an “interactive mode”…with the same endeavors BF may be able to rebuild a new BGE outside Blender, with all modern features and that is the right path for further growing of BF. Imagine Blender and Blender GE(for mobile/VR/PC/PS/XBOX) - a two separate entities under one management.
An open source alternative for commercial packages like Autodesk+Unity/Unreal and everything else. :slight_smile:

They orphaned BGE a long time ago and are trying to let it die of starvation.

I don’t see any point in asking them for favors.

I will just move on and try and pay a coder to work for us, plain and simple.

Well I think the world needs a good open source engine, because there is none. And the first to do it will win a lot of attention. Just like Blender once did and I don’t see why it is not again Blender GE. :slight_smile:

@haidme: I don’t understand neither why they would spend some resources doing an interactive mode without the ability to export, knowing that when people begin a project, most of them expect to share it (with friends, family, or for commercial purposes). If you begin a project and that you do your logic in Blender and that you have to do again your logic in another software, it makes no sense to do your logic in Blender first.
@BluePrintRandom: Let’s see what will happen with this interactive mode first. Then we’ll see for plan B

Not much to add right now, but I just want to say, I agree completely with every single thing that’s been said so far in this thread. That’s weird for the internet right? Also, there’s a whole lot of educational resources here being lost too that I feel doesn’t carry enough weight.

What is new on that link? This is known since quite some time.

Oh, I just thought that when I’d have done what was requested (use depsgraph and Object + use eevee render directly), we could have found an agreement. (I have to say however that my plan doesn’t cover logic changes). Anyway, let’s see what will be this interactive non overlapping mode. I just hope it will be written with the same codestyle as the depsgraph so everybody can understand it and begin to contribute to it.

“I think the world needs a nice and open source engine”
Not to sound like a traitor, but there are plenty. There’s Godot, UE4, and many others out there. However, none of them include the same features BGE has since BGE is a all in one program that can create videos, models, animations…etc. It’s one light weight tool. The only thing Blender isn’t is a music composition software. But that would be cool.

But, I hope the developers never forget why they called it blender. It’s literally a bunch of tools blended as one.

However, I stopped using vanilla Blender for UPBGE simply due to the additions to BGE and the performance boosts. Thanks BPR for not giving up on it.

I have a few more projects i have to do using BGE but i’ll use UPBGE to help me finnish them just to prove a point that its a Good Game Engine.

We need to prove them wrong so that atleast we can do twice as much and make amazing Games.

My projects are aimed at encouraging and motivating UPBGE Devs to continue working on UPBGE so that they can convince BF to start working on BGE but work on it and make an entire new Game Engine that will continue from UPBGE.

In other words UPBGE serves as a foundation for the future and most powerful Game Engine in Blender.

Fred/K.S

Yep the IM is just for animators = make my animation button. :slight_smile: But i approve.
I stopped using BGE and even left the UPBGE due to inactivity. Now i just use Godot.

Wuuuuuuttttttt?
Why?

Fred/K.S

THE ONLY THING THE BLENDER NEEDS IS A BUNCH OF AAA BLENDER GAMES!!!

GAMES THAT ARE UNREAL ENGINE LEVEL AND BEYOND UNITY LEVEL.

THATS ALL WE NEED RIGHT NOW TO GET ALL THESE DEV’S BACK AND WORKING ON BETTERING UPBGE AND THE FUTURE OF THE BLENDER GAME ENGINE.

@Everyone Less debate around this lets start making AWESOME Blender Games.
Fred/K.S

@AudioFreak Well, just like world don’t need Blender, because there is 3D Max and Maya. No Godot nor UE are open soure engines :slight_smile: Also yes, it is not new. And that is just another useless thread.