HELP! Animation jitters when exported to FBX

Hello Blender artists. I am working on animations for a game made in Unreal Engine 4 and we need them exported in FBX form.

The issue is, some of the animations have a weird bone jitter when exported to FBX. Me and my team have been working to figure out the issue but we can’t get to the bottom of it.

So far we have tried:
-removing all scaling on bones
-changing around export settings
-redoing the tail animation entirely
-all sorts of UE4 stuff
-Changing root bone to location 0 0 0 0 0 1 1

So far none of these have worked. We are stumped.

Here is what the animation looks like after exporting to FBX and importing it into Blender or UE4:

And here are my blend files:

(Para_Aggro_2 is the working file and Jitterytail is the broken one)

Any help would be appreciated. My team is relying on this issue to be fixed ASAP.

Hello, I know this post is old, but I can’t just keep the solution only for me (I’ve just found the solution to the same problem 10 minutes ago). In the FBX exporter options try swaping the axis of the primary and secondary bones. Just like this picture. Hope this is helpful to someone.

1 Like

I had the same problem with an opening book animation and this fixed it for me!

I’m experiencing the same issue and I tried messing with some options in the exporter. Unfortunately, swapping the axis of primary and secondary bones didn’t work for me.

I found that when exporting fbx animations, if I turn off ‘simplify’ or make it smaller values like 0.1 it would significantly improve the result.

And here is the comparison:
(linking my gifs from external since I can’t post more than one image)

(Broken: FBX exported with ‘simplify’ being 1.0)

(Fixed: FBX exported with ‘simplify’ being 0.1)

Decreasing simplify would result in larger files in size but it’s a smaller issue comparing to the animation quality.

3 Likes

Thank you so much. I can’t believe they haven’t fixed it until now. In the recent Blender version 2.9 the same workaround does the trick. Why not change the defaults?