Blender 2.8's new Interactive Engine stand in the gap for BGE!

Topics already been answerd

• GOT ANY THOUGHTS ON THE NEW INTERACTIVE MODE?

Fred/K.S

"There won’t be ability to export (I’m wondering how long it will take until they find a way to export without “overlaping”) so this is not a game engine because a game engine allows to produce games. And share it. I’m wondering if they have not an agreement with Godot to prevent Blender to do concurrecy to Godot. I’m parano, I feel some kindof things like that. Because no open source engine has its chance against an all in one sofware including a game engine with eevee as renderer (because of the simple workflow).

But if this is not Blender who do this engine, other guys will do it, blender will loose users and in fact I think they don’t really care, because what matters is the main sponsors who pay blender coders and which are animation studios. They don’t consider game making as an art, they consider it is for kids. I’m a 34yo kid, I like art, but I like too to do and share interactive stuff (with my friends and family). I had the dream of an all in one sofware with a true game engine. I have serious doubts we’ll have that." -> so it seems it is a paranoiac delirium

EDIT: Campbell says that export as exe will be possible. So apologizes when I’ll see the game engine and the exe exporter, and what will be the design, if it allows to do true games or not

It seems i’m in a delirium (there will be the ability to export according to campbell Barton)

It seems i’m in a delirium (there will be the ability to export according to campbell Barton)

seems i’m in a paranoiac delirium

Srry for posting 2wice!

Fred/K.S

Will it be possible to revive BGE?
Sometime next year?

Fred/K.S

Eevee isnt any closer to this:

So the only way for BGE to be number 1 again is if we create the impossible !!!

It will take my entire lifetime to fake these graphics in BGE:

Not even cycles is this close, we just need an extension created in cycles for realtime rendering or Eevee for that matter they must make Eevee render executables thats just it !!!

Infact Eevee is basically a mini Game Engine only being used for the Viewport, only that it doesent render application’s. (They must add features of you can render as a Game)

Fred/K.S

The worst thing to do is to compare an official UE demo reel with the indie games we are doing here. With the same success you can compare most indie UE games with the same reel and the result will be the same…they are not even close to this.
So why complaining?! BGE is a great engine and you can do great games with it. Who cares if a multimillion company can do cool things with UE…most UE indies are doing almost the same quality games as we are doing in BGE.

@haidme i agree with you apparently we’re doing better games than most UE Dev’s TBH !!!

Lol idk why BF wants to completely remove BGE from the face of blender. :frowning:

Im already happy with what we have UPBGE and 2.79.
(What more do we need in Blender?)

I think that because Open GL and GLSL is old maybe maybe BF wants to keep up with the latest trend maybe they’ll have an external Engine that will render cinematic type of gameplay. ( I dont care if all my games Look PS2 Level graphics as long as they have Good Gameplay elements and as long as they tell good stories and are fun to play)

TBH im not after cinematic styled gameplay the Trend these days is to achieve Cinematic level graphics BGE is perfect just the way it is !!!

All we needed was UPBGE that comes INTERGRATED AND IT SHOULD HAVE ALREADY BEEN COMING STANDARD IN BLENDER versions since 2.70 !!!

Idk why they want it separate :frowning:
BF is very picky !!!

Fred/K.S

Infact games these days are getting to a point where they are going to hurt our eyes very soon.
(The destruction of real life Graphics and the dawn of the cinematic life)

Too Much Graphics is bad for yr eyes and brain, infact as humans we were created to only handle a certain amount of detail in our real world for our daily lives.
( every body takes our real life graphics for granted who cares if you walk down the street worrying about the reflection intensity the car is reflecting at, or the bloom of the clouds in the sky or the details in a human skin of a person you are talking too !!!)

LMFAO We dont live our lives processing information of our real world Graphics constantly, in other words we are not machines, so the same follows with games.
(Who said that Graphics makes the Game Engine 1st in the Market even if its open-source)

I dont care if BGE has PS1 graphics or ps2 we can make games better and more fun than AAA Studios making cinematic games.

The game industry crushed the movie industry since cinematic graphics were made possible. (every single movie that comes out struggles on a tight budget to make profit)

So i dont see why BF should take our BGE and destroy it and also i blame them for not intergrating UPBGE as a standard package in offcicial blender builds.
(Everytime we needed an update or a fix we had to go and get a separate build for it alot of people couldn’t even understand wtf was upbge only for them to read abt it on the internet.)

But hey who knows what lets hope they make the right descisions for 2.8 i dont think they’ll leave us Game Devs just like that !!!

Future blender builds will & im saying this because i hope, Future blender builds will also be used to make games.
(If not then they’re wasting their time, Eevee should have been a Game Engine in blender but they chose to go the Cycles route. Then WTF is blender render used for if they’re not updating it why keep Blender Render if BGE is getting removed? they should just keep Eevee and Cycles if thats what they want honestly guys.)

Anyways enough chat for me im going to continue using BGE for experiments and i’ll still be building my games on UPBGE i’ll never give up:)

Fred/K.S

If The Blender Foundation Approved UPBGE Dev’s Proposal at the Beginning of 2016 !!!
[BEFORE] (from 2012 - 2016)

[AFTER] (from 2016 - 2018)

It was that simple for BF to approve with UPBGE Dev’s but did they?
Then blender wouldnt have suffered so much !!!
(This means that everytime they would be a new build example 2.76 upbge would be part of it and even improved)

Fred/K.S

This is one of those threads that is liable to just go south…but…

Haidme said it well…a graphics demo is not anywhere near a gamplay experience…graphics can be crazy in a graphics showcase…add some AI and actual gameplay and FPS can quickly(and does) go south.

as far as UPGBE, I’m sad to see it go…but no one wanted to work within the BF’s constraints…and no one stepped up as module owner…they did attempt to give BGE a good push with project apricot(Yo Frankie) but it was met with mediocre enthusiasm and so interest among users and developers fizzled out…

BluePrintRandom has shown interest in continuing UPBGE and I give him credit for that…but it’s a massive undertaking…and I do not see it paying off…the renderer needs a new rewrite…the logic needs a rewrite and it is not multi threaded…there are so many things that are below standard of modern game engines(and not by a small amount) that it is probably easier to make it anew once 2.8 is released as an addon…but this is just my opinion.

Both BGE and UPBGE are still capable engines…they just require a lot more knowledge to get anything out of them…unlike UE4 or Unity…whose engines are a lot more forgiving and you do not need to roll your own ‘this or that’…

I still fully support UPBGE(not financially, I’m far to poor for that) and will stick with it until Myrlea is complete, but I’m not against the interactive engine…since it will bring ALL the blender features into the interactive engine…particles, hair, cloth physics…everything.

Yeah it turns out we’ll just have to accept Fate and finnish our game projects !!! (Without fail)

BF doesent care at all hopefully they still have a GE idea in mind :smiley:

Fred/K.S

No offense but the amount of delusion is strong in this one. BGEs design doesn’t enable it being even close to Unreal / Unity / Godot. There are no AAA Games, because you can’t make AAA Games with the Blender Game engine in it’s current state and UPBGE won’t change that. The Interactive Mode is the logical consequence for this. If you want an open source engine that has a future and a modern code base, use Godot.
And this: “Too Much Graphics is bad for yr eyes and brain, infact as humans we were created to only handle a certain amount of detail in our real world for our daily lives.” is a very poor argument and you know it.

Its still possible to make AAA Games with UPBGE.
You need to be a genius.
(Its almost impossible to make an AAA game alone, but if BF or all the artists on Blender artists.org work together as a team we can make the best blender Game in the world)
And so its possible but only together can we all make a AAA Game using UPBGE and BGE.

Fred/K.S

Lets hope the Blender Foundation does great jawb giving us this interactive Engine. (I will create content also on this new interactive Engine)

Fred/K.S

Right, and wrong. you can make pretty games with BGE/UPBGE…it’s about manpower, knowledge and time…now I am not going to say that BGE/UPBGE can look as good as the best ‘graphical demo’ from UE4, Godot or Unity…but you can get pretty close. I tried to make some really nice graphics for testing before I started to really develop my game(kinda need to) just to see what I could get out of the engine…and you can do quite well if you do things correctly…it’s when you start to add a lot of crazy physics and logic…or poorly written code that just loops continuously without any type of event handling that it gets slow…everyone has their own perspective, but this one is mine.

1 Like

Extending what Stuntkoala said, let’s not forget the elephant in the room that is workflow (especially with reusable assets).

The BGE has a form of this by way of group instances (which you can even have in their own scenes), but the workflow has weakness such as a lack of nesting or inheritance and how all of your instances are thrown into a single menu list in the add menu. It’s also not possible to override properties (meaning if you want to do so much as give an instance a different material, you have to create another group instance).

Other engines use something called a “prefab”, and usually they would have a scene tree to ease the ability to keep track and allow you to select them from a file system (allowing for nice organization).

Now Unity for instance can’t do prefab inheritance or nesting (unless you pay for a plugin). Godot takes the concept even further and outright removes the distinction between prefabs and scenes (meaning that you have inheritance, unlimited nesting, overrides, the ability to have entire levels as an instance in another scene, ect…) for ultimate usability and flexible design. That being far more than what UPBGE can do (particularly since the visual and scene building workflow seemed to get little attention outside of the “do it yourself in Python” mentality that is so prevalent and vigorously defended).

in upbge I can push 1000s of objects and a dense terrain with no batching yet,

my gpu (nvidia 1070) is using .5 ms for this, so I have 15 ms remaining for geometry shaders and post proccessing, animation and Ai will be a bit tight, but its all 100% custom and written in py,

I code circles around most unity / ue4 developers.

there is nothing wrong with UPBGE that skill can’t fix.

Ue4 is the equivalent of using upbge and having a friend who writes shaders.

we need a shader master on board, and we need tristan back :frowning: