Some help needed in fixing my model's arms.

Recently, I’ve been having an issue with the model I’ve been working on, and I was hoping I could get some feedback on how I could fix it.

The problem I’m having is that when I try to add arms to my model, I end up with what appears to be some sort of concave area around where the arm connects to the rest of the body.

The arm should be connected to the body in a way that has a sharp edge that distinguishes the arms from the rest of the body, however the connecting point between the arm and the body should also be able to blend in fairly well, without the noticeable, unsightly concave edge.

Any help with this matter would be greatly appreciated. :smiley:

Turn off or hide the sub-d modifier then have a look at that area. You’ll probably find that the arm socket extends into the body mesh. Without examining the model, it’s hard to tell.

You might also need more edge loops.

Okay, I tried manipulating the geometry around the arm to see if that would work and this is what I ended up with:

I can’t really seem to tell whether it helped or not, or whether there was a concaved edge to begin with.

I tried viewing the model at different angles, switching between the Material (top picture above) and Solid (bottom picture above) viewports, and I can’t seem to tell whether everything’s fine or if the concave edge is still there, assuming it was there to begin with and not some other problem with the mesh causing visual issues.

I also tried temporally applying the Subdivision Modifier without saving any of the ensuing changes, just to see how the edge loops around the arm turned out. Are they fine? Or do I have to make some other modifications to the mesh for it work properly?

Try getting rid of the edge crease around where the arm attaches to the body. For this model, you would probably only need 1 edge loop close to the arm socket.

Perhaps some sculpting?

I tried as you suggested, removing the Mean Crease from the edges connecting the arms to the body and instead adding another loop cut to create the crease that makes the arms stand out from the rest of the body. I also played around with the geometry a bit to better shape my model into its desired final form, and thus far there doesn’t seem to be a noticeable concave area around the arm anymore.

However, I thought that I should get some additional input just to be on the safe side, so that I can prevent any mistakes from happening that won’t be so easy to fix further down the road.

For reference, I don’t want my model’s arms to “flow” outwards from the rest of the body in a natural manner. Instead I want the limbs to extend from the body like a cartoon character, with a distinct edge where the arm and the body are connected, as illustrated in the picture of Kirby shown in the picture below.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]519327[/ATTACH]

For your particular purpose a better method might be this:

In the video Max approaches from hard-surface modeling perspective however the same methods can work very well for what you are trying to achieve.

Hi, again. I was wondering if I could get some help with another problem that has cropped with the arms on the model I’m working on.

The problem I’m having is that the arms (highlighted in the below screenshot) have somehow developed a curve in them, when the arms are supposed to be straight and symmetrical on both sides.

I’m guessing that the unwanted curvature came about when I was using proportional editing to manipulate the rest of my model’s geometry, and I must have accidentally warped the arm’s mesh in the process.

Is there anyway that I can straighten the arms so that they will be once again symmetrical on both sides again? Or am I going to have start all over by deleting the arms and extrude them from the main body a second time, hoping that they turn out straight and not crooked in some manner?

Once again, any help with this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Nevermind, I opted to delete the arms from my model’s mesh and start over again from scratch.