Video Masking question

Hello, I’m working with a video using the movie clip editor, I started to create a mask. Masks in movie clip editor can be animated. As the most things in blender that are animated, we can access to manipulate it’s keyframes in the dopesheet, but surprisingly, I can not access to manipulate the curve editor of this mask’s keyframes. This is a blender issue?

Moved from “Tutorials, Tips, and Tricks” to “Compositing and Post Processing”

No, you cannot access the curve of mask keyframes. In fact, no program will let you do this. Not Nuke, not After Effects, and not Blender.

This isn’t totally so. In Nuke you can attach curve points to trackers or knob values through expressions and through this modify motion curves of individual curve points. OP maybe meant ability of changing the interpolation type of shapes which is by default linear in all programs. This should actually be easier because constant, easein/out etc can be fully automatic without curve accesss, but I’m not sure which softwares support this in practice, maybe Silhouette, Flowbox and other specialty roto apps.

1 Like

thanks for the response guys. I really missed this feature. Blender masking would be better with this option

Attaching a mask to a tracker or anything else in Nuke is simply automating the mask point’s animation, it’s not affecting the falloff of the curve between 2 mask keyframes. Maybe SIlhouette or Flowbox does, I’ve not used either of those in production.

That’s exactly what I wrote. You can affect the falloff through modifying the animation curve of whatever property you linked the curve point to. Curve itself is not animated anyway, curve point positions are (curve shape is the result of some generative algorithm which uses control points as input), so affecting the point positions does exactly this, although in a tedious and cumbersome way. Simply setting the point position interpolation to another type is not possible in Nuke nor Blender nor AE.

1 Like