GPU Open; AMD's Open Source answer to Gameworks?

https://gpuopen.com/

The difference from Nvidia Gameworks is that every piece of technology mentioned on the site is free and open source, meaning it can be integrated into software like Blender and Godot.

It’s already starting to gain traction with commercial vendors, with Unity announcing on their blog that they will integrate RadeonRays (and before one asks, the full extent of that functionality will work on Nvidia cards too).

One thing that may be of immediate interest to Blender users is what it could provide for Blender 2.8’s new viewport code and Eevee renderer (especially since it’s not proprietary). I’m not sure how useful it would be outside of actual games, but there’s a few things in there related to rendering that could be worth a look.

Does Clement know about this, is there anything here of practical value for the BF?

(Eevee) +(ray-tracing) I am not saying that it is impossible but if very difficult.

I was talking about GPU Open technologies and libraries in general, not just the raytracing.

Anything open would benefit everyone. Sure nVidia has easier drivers and CUDA. But those are not open like OpenCL. The point with Blender is that it should aim to be as open as possible. Vulkan, OpenGL, OpenCL works on everything. DirectX, CUDA and gameworks don’t. Why even bother waste time on it. I rather see 25% slower solution where everything is open instead just benefiting 75% that has closed solutions.

I just want working software. I have seen way too many driver issues coming out of camp AMD throughout the entire lifetime of Cycles, and now we’re seeing a new wave of issues with AMD and EEVEE. I like open software and standards, but I honestly prefer working software over open software. I have stuff to do, and I don’t have years to wait for AMD to catch up.

i had problems with both and been satisfied by both
it mostly depends on the user and the complexity user expects to solve… my choice is advanced light transport via pathtracing: 1. CPU, 2. openCL, 3. CUDA… yes, from experience CUDA is worst in this regard

about open source & such development, knowing the benefit is mutual, on all sides globally, makes me feel so much better… & not to forget, it also prevents cartels & monopoly

We all want working software but it should work with an open standard. If you wan’t production ready application then go with Max Maya and Zbrush.

Blender is Open and should be focused on open. The point = Open software.

Like the worst ideologies in our history, what is important is not the individual, the user, make art… what is important is the ideology. And if the individual must suffer in the process, let him suffer.

One thing is preffer Open Souce software and other make these claims.

we all want open software, but it should work with an open standard. It took literally 4 years for openCL to reach feature parity with CUDA in cycles. How many years will it take for EEVEE to do the same?

If open standards are really that important, make sure you spackle up all the usb ports on every device you’ve ever owned.

Then Nvidia RTX might be the best and most innovative thing to ever come out for the GPU. It is vendor locked, platform locked, and product locked, triple the locking means it must be three times as good :smiley:

I think a more accurate statement would be that we would want to use Open Standards when possible, but the unfortunate thing is that the developers don’t always put in a serious effort to make it the better option (hence why the Blender developers once chose to try to deal with all of the crap involved in trying to make .fbx work).

BUT it is Blenders ideology. How you come to use it is not important.

If anything then look how Ton was bitching about fbx format. It has practically the same openness as CUDA and nvidia gameworks.

I agree, but I also want an open standard…in the past AMD/ATI always had a weak if not hacky OGL backend…that always caused issues here and there…for over 20 years now…

I honestly hope things with AMD(graphics devices) change or have changes, as I see this as something I would love to see adopted into all mainstream realtime technologies.

Just chiming in here to point out that’s really not what he said. Isn’t it true that focusing purely on ideology, even an unquestionably good one like open-source, has a tendency to lead to a no-tradeoff policy, and hinder progress ? We can observe it around us with slow-moving projects like gimp or inkscape, and yet we stick with them because we adhere to the ideology behind them. There are counter-examples, though. On the flipside, there’s probably nothing hindering progress more strongly than proprietary technology, patents, etc… but I agree that the end goal, benefiting the human being, should never be lost sight of.

What was that about, already ? Oh yeah… ten posts in and we managed to become fundamentalists again instead of talking practical.

Great initiative from AMD. Not being a developer I really can’t react any more thoroughly than this. :slight_smile: The website mentions realtime raytracing within ProRender… that’s nice. For select effects like Nvidia’s thing I imagine ?

Who has benefited humanity the most? the industry that has democratized the creation of video games, films, art, that has lowered production costs for the poorest people of basic products, that has helped to create airports, architectures impossible until a few years ago?

Or the software with which you can hardly find a job?

Above all, diversity of choice & freedom to choose. Nobody is forced against own will and no one is prohibited to take part.

Have fun on the trip fantastic or keep waiting-complaining until comes the next.

50 tflops¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡

Some are calling it an early April Fools joke (we’ll probably see the annual round of joke stories very soon).

they should see if AMD will pay to add the code :3

Posting wccftech links especially on April 1st is considered heresy.

it was posted 31 Mar, but still wccftech… may as well have been posted a day later :wink:

EDIT: I see, after checking the link wccftech posted on 1 Apr, while here the post from cusa123 shows 31 Mar.