Rigging pants : knee is too stretched

Hi,

I’m working on a female character.
In one of her poses, she bends the knee and put her left foot on a box.

I have a problem with the bended knee : the knee is too stretched as you can see in the pictures below, resulting in an overly stretched texture.

My situation is the following : I have the body of the character. There are simplified pants (this is the visible wire) which follow the same armature as the character and a shrinkwrap modifier. And there are the pants that have a Surface Deform modifier (with the simplified pants as target).

How should I proceed to make the pants “slide” like a real cloth to avoid this stretching ?

Thanks

Yo,

consider what happens with real sports clothing like this one : either it’s slightly wrinkled in rest pode (character standing, knees unbent) and allows for some stretching, or the fabric’s tension makes it slide up a bit when the knee bends. In your case I would try a shrinkwrap modifier on the fabric, targeting the legs (assuming you have legs underneath), and a shapekey where you shorten the cloth. Shapekeys are evaluated before everything else so it might work.

It works. It is not perfect (I have to take more time on this), but it’s much better. Thanks !