missing some feature in compositor

Hi, i ussually use Nuke which is node base compositing. I know blender is not for hardcore compositing but still this is good that we have compositor inside blender. So i’m not trying to compare both , i just want to spot some basic feature which can really speed up the workflow but missing… so either it doesn’t exist or maybe i just coudn’t find it.

So here’s my questions :

1. What is the hotkey to connect any selected node to ‘viewer’ node. This is a basic feature which make me faster to edit in compositor without have to manually connecting to viewer. Did i miss this ?

2. is there anyway i can have ‘live’ compositor node inside material node editor ? where i can jump inside it and re-edit this compositor and have output updated to be used in material node editor. Right now i have to render out (file out) the re-import it back to be used as material texture. or to be simple maybe having some compositor feature inside material node editor , such as blur etc, so i can blur the texture just before i send it to shader node.

3. is there a paint node inside compositor. in case i need to retouch an texture before i can feed it into material? so i don’t have to go to photoshop etc.

4. in material node editor , i think there should be a ‘viewer’ node as well like compositor, where you can view intermmediate result , this is good for debugging. For example when convert the texture (rgb) to greyscale. I can check in viewer if this greyscale output as good as i expected , having black and white level as i need etc. Right now , everything have to connect to material output . I don’t like it , it’s slow workflow. there should be 1 single hotkey to view the output of any selected node.

That’s it for now. Anyone have any thought about it? pls share.

1, 4. ctrl+shift+lmb, enable node wrangler

1. No.

2. No. Both compositor and material nodes have image node, and you can use paint features and mix them, and uv/image editor and texture painting have ‘edit externally’ option to speed up editing in an application specified in user preferences -> file.

1. Same as 1 part 2, use node wrangler. It will attach any node to the material output using an emission node. This way you can see the results of that specific node.

Nice, that ctrl shift lmb is cool. thanks . Btw, It will be great if i can do this and view it on a viewer node (like in compositor) rather than on the actual object. so i can have the capability to view it as 2d image rather than already being applied to 3d object.

Just setup a plane oriented to view in another 3D window, with the material attached to it. But it will still override the output. Better than nothing however.

I was just working on something where I wanted to multiply some noise over an image to break it up. I was very surprised to find no procedural texture nodes in the compositor. I noticed that I could use a texture if I define it in Textures, but noise there doesn’t have any controls on it like it does in the shader editor. Why? I noticed Musgrave has controls. I feel like I should be able to use nodes from the shader editor in the compositor, but they aren’t compatible. Even nodes that are available in both aren’t compatible.Why is this?