Animations before the Animation

Good day all,

Quick question. In today’s games i am seeing more animations that start before the main animation begins. What I mean is: when a character is idle and is directed by the player to move forward, before the walking/running animation starts, a small, much shorter animation plays in which the character transitions smoothly from being idle into walking. Does anyone know what that transitional animation is called? I didn’t have luck on google possibly because i wasn’t using the right name.

any help is greatly appreciated.

It’s called “Anticipation” :slight_smile:

If you’re into “learning the principles of animation”, well take a look at “The twelve ones” stated by the godfathers of Disney:

Have fun and Happy Blending

Hello, thanks Mike J. Gee for that link, I didn’t know it.

I also recommend “Simplifying The 12 Principles of Animation” by Jonathan Abenhaim. I also recommend you to take a look at his entire Youtube channel.
Or also that video from Alan Becker (the guy behind the original “Animator vs Animation” series).

You’re wellcome “French Frie” LoL I’m just an “Ice leg” LoL So (german by native)

I’ve the book which is mentioned on his sight too, “The illusion of Life” - THE hit of the hits within the 80’s, when it came out, revieling “all the secrets of Walt Disney’s journey to success” and Dante did a quiet well done summery of those principles.

I know also Jonathan’s Simplify-Approach to workflow (he call’s it “Method”) - but to be honest the original book is really more inspiring and if you watch animations with this background, you see the differences in quality quiet fast - mostly intuitive - on my behalf; I mostly have to “think it over” many times, until I get the “right reason” why something seems to be odd… because the 12 are never out of group, they always have to “play together” and the “weights of any one” are dependent on what sort of story you like to tell.

Hehe, I have Richard William’s «The Animator’s Survival Kit». ^^
I see Jonathan’s method as a noob-friendly approach. At least to me, it was easier to reach the understanding of the 12 principles trough that.