Nothern road - In progress

Hi everyone,

I'm working on a new project, a fantasy scene in a snowy/rocky landscape.

Here is the latest render. I'm only halfway of finishing it, and I need to add much details on the rocks, the ground which is so far untouched and the characters silhouette.

I would like to know what you think of the general concept: composition, lighting, perspective, etc?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Route du Nord - Rendu 7 compo.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	149.4 KB 
ID:	519852

looks good so far, but on the perspective side of it, you could drop the frame a little for a better feeling of the awe the travelers are processing? They would be seeing huge "rocks" as they go, we see normal sized rocks and small people. I'd vote to "make the travelers the main focus of the render" but then take them out of focus to give the viewer a better understand what they are feeling.

I lowered the camera, and used a wider focal. It's indeed better, thanks Verybinary.

I started working on the ground then.

Name:	Route du Nord - Rendu 9 compo.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	182.4 KB 
ID:	520070

Feels like your scene needs some small and middle details to have more of a sense of scale, and the shapes seem to be to repetetive. Adding some smaller stones, and middle sized ones would let the big ones stand out more.

Thanks Cosva. I tried to improve it with your comment. I added some smaller stones, and sculpt each face slightly differently.
    Nearly finished now!!!
    Just a bit more work on the rock faces, the traveler and add a wind effect to the scene.

Name:	Route du Nord - Rendu 18 compo.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	187.4 KB 
ID:	521154

for me the sculpted face looks too modern and smooth,it needs erosion.rocks look squat and colour and texture is not convincing.it remainds me of Manpupuner rock formation http://www.amusingplanet.com/2015/09...ormations.html

The scene is really coming alive! It's great how you have actually taken critique and changed your scene, quite rare.

Some ideas.

1) Too much empty space/sky. lower the camera more and push in some on the man.
    2) USe more of a mist pass, and push the distant objects toward blue/grey.
    3) reduce saturation of the sky, and push hue away from purple.
    4) THe rocks have too much rede in them, red and blue clash temperature wise. I would make them more grey, and use the color part of the texure to increase the disp/bump

5) HAve osme other object/building/natural element (hill, mountain,...) beside the face stones, they are too repeticive.
    6_) add some middle ground detaisl, grass poking through, fallen tree/ ice/icicles.
    7) give a hint at some idea of what the man is doing. I can't figure out what he is holding. it could be quite simple: a tent, a sled, a rifle.
    8) wash out the entire scene (in post) with some low opacity white noise to give the feeling of cold snowy mist.

Can't wait to see more!!! It's excellent so far.
    GTX 780-i5 Quad-16 GB
    Chocobanana - The Captain - Snow Leopard- Neanderthal