When closing blender preferences or system console, it closes the blender program

Hi I recently started using blender again after a long while but I seem to be having a problem. When I enter user preferences or system console and then close that window it closes blender. I looked at the console window and it says AL lib<EE> UpdateDeviceParams : failed to set 4410hz, got 48000hz instead

I was using 2.74 but because of this problem I decided to try the latest build 2.79 it happens there as well. It all started when I saved my blender file with the preference window opened and now the blend file is saved with the user preference window opened when the file is loaded and when I try to close that window it closes the program. I can not even use the user preferences it is all in black, it seems to affect all blenders.

I am using an ATI Radeon HD5800 graphics card and windows 7

does anyone know what is wrong and how I can fix it or if it can even be fixed, maybe the graphics card is too old.

crane hook_v1.blend (694 KB)

closing the console is uber quit. this is normal and to be expected. doent mean you have to like it.

ignore the audio hz message, its meaningless unless you care.

to reset the ui:

click “Open”
uncheck “Load UI”
browse and open your blend.
save.

OR: append your scenes into a new file.

WARNING: DO NOT switch between 2.79 and previous. you will break your blends.

Thanks Daedalus, I didn’t know shutting down console window would shut down blender. Maybe blender should ask the user if it wishes to close in the future.

I went to open and unchecked load UI, that is great it worked the user preference does not load now in the file and the user preferences are back.

I am still getting a problem if I open user preferences and the close the user preference window it seems to close blender in both 2.74 and even 2.79 I don’t know why it does that now. This only started yesterday, I am grateful it is partially solved though. I guess for now I can work with these issues.

To get rid of the “4410hz” message, go into user preferences, system, under sound, set your sample rate to 48kHz and save user settings. It has nothing to do with the graphics, so don’t worry. :slight_smile:
Sorry about the duplicates - Firefox / forums playing up!

duplicate deleted…

duplicate deleted

If it is a windows system like window 10. They update the API every so often that the Blender that you used to love you now hate like a passion. This is common for various other 3D applications. My suggestion is reloading WIndow 10. Most people chose to updgrade WIndows 7, 8, 8.1 to Window 10 with the free upgrade. Blender is very dependent on the API of the OS.