Help with quilted couch

Hi!
I’m struggling with modeling a quilted couch as you can see in my reference picture. With some effort I’ve managed to create the wrinkled holes on the horisontal part. But the curved armrests and backrest I becomes nightmares, at least using my current method. This method I use means that I create every hole and wrinkle manually, which takes forever but eventually gets the job done. On the curved part however there are just too many loops to make it work…

I need some hints on how to proceed. Can I not just create one hole and then magically copy paste? Can I somehow create this effect only using texture/normal maps? It seems though I cannot create “sculpts” from mesh and from sculpt bake to normal maps…

Thanks for your input!

happy cl

Base Modeling

1. Gather references, possibly plans…
    Analyze the form to find the basics (elements, motives, modules).

2. Block out to define base form.
    Model parts, till the need for details arise (ie. modeling becomes inefficient & work to tedious to continue).
    All along, keep an eye on the edge flow and economy. (as linked above)

3. Unwrap

Intermission - You got yourself Low/Mid/High poly model (SubD base mesh) which is used again & again & again… :wink:

Advance Detailing (Characterization - get a story!)

1. Sculpt and/or Simulate (dents, bumps, add extras…)
  2. Surficize, Texturize (tear, ware, use…)
  3. Bake

7. Finalize, prepare for USE
depends on the medium: Virtual / Physical

Disclaimer:
Personal IP Workflow in general.

As one goes and grows from general enthusiast (Jack of all trades), some aspects are preferred more, are more pleasant on the mind, body and soul… thus after time gets singled out, chosen to get back to & back again - that skill can become the master skill… but only after huge amount of grinding.

Industry on the other hand, uses ‘divide and conquer’ strategy [I](use of single step per employee) making such entity (team, company) super efficient. Thus is better for such person, individual (if unsure of own future) to become the master of change, of learning and unlearning. Master Jack of all trades… or compete to become the best, as there can be only one…

:eek:
oh… it’s basically very similar or almost the same case in both situations for one to become real master of the matrix…
[/I]

look for “chesterfield” sofa modelling tutorial(for any 3d soft) you can apply it to blender.