One cloth simulation works, but the other cloth doesn’t?

Hi again. This is kind of a continuation from my other thread “physics won’t work with rigify?”.

I think I may be posting this too early as its been a few days since I made a thread.

Back on topic, it wasn’t rigify causing any cloth physics at all, it was the physic settings itself. I have good news and bad news.

The good news is my character’s sleeves work now (thanks to people helping out in the other thread) but not the skirt. I was told in the other post “You scaled your meshes down but didn’t scale your collision and cloth distances down. So you are telling Blender repel this thing the same blender units as when your mesh was larger. Change all your distance measures in collision and cloth physics and it will work fine. Multiply the distances by .17 scale you have on your mesh”.

But the bad news, I used the same settings for the skirt, and, you guessed it, doesn’t work. This is strange because on the scale tab the skirt is also re-scaled to 0.17 the original size, yet the 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] cloth physic doesn’t work.

I do have both physics working on an old rig I made from scratch, but this was before I resized the whole model to the correct size. However, the old rig I made from scratch doesn’t animate very well and has snapping problems.

So… shall I upload the 2 blend files with the physics done right and physics done wrong, like I did on my other post?

I’m hoping this doesn’t happen with every single physic we ever use, because this may frustrate other people. It’s strange as my old rig physics worked perfectly fine and straight away without needing to change any settings other than the pin setting. And it looks to me the physic setting for each object has to be different because I resized her down to the correct height?

By the way, I am learning hair physics via a tutorial series which uses bones and collision objects so I reeeeally hope that doesn’t cause any problems. Then I’m going to use shape keys, which has to be done last.

Just post the one that you think is wrong.

Oh, hey there :^) Cheers for the help the other day.

Ok, heres the file:

I dunno why, but the collision seems to work, but the cloth goes upwards a bit. I kept the sleeve part so you can see the settings I used, which works, but not on the skirt. Hopefully, we can sort it out.

No they both work. Your not understanding. Please look here https://docs.blender.org/manual/en/dev/physics/cloth/settings/collisions.html and try to reason this out so you learn. We have all been there. It’s painful. Here sits vertex A. I tell it what with collision? I tell it what with cloth? I run my simulation and the unseen force pushes them away. How fast? How far? Where? What direction? What about the ones I don’t want to push away? (pin). How much influence did I tell it to use? Now I look at your simulation. How far did it move? Can I maybe use the view and cursor to get some idea how far distance is? Or can I guess? Both will work. What if I pushed it away twice with overlapping meshes? How far will it push? Which one will control? Cloth is springiness, dampness and weight on topology. Play with those a little. Mostly you just have to tell it where to start (hint outer) where to go repulsion force which you can think of as the push and how far before you slow down. There is not that many things to play with. Do a little experimentation. I know you just want a fast fix. But if you don’t learn, you won’t be able to figure it out. I leave it to you to try to solve it. Quit thinking what do I set and start thinking why did it do that. Ah grasshopper you are learning!

I’ll give myself a few days and see if I can solve it myself. Then I’ll return here and say what happened, ok?

If you get stuck PM me.

Deal. I’ll tell you what I tried.

Okay, the solution has been found. For those wondering, I needed to alter the pin weight using “weight gradient”. There’s a simple Youtube tutorial on this, so I followed that and set the cloth preset to “silk” and it fixed it.

Cheers, Stilltrying.