Insert Measurements Numerical?

Is there a way to insert measurements numerical so it changes a model?

Example: I’m making a box with angeled corners and I want all the corners to get exactly thesame degree. Is there a place to type in a number and the marked corner adjust to that number? Perhaps there is an addon that let me do this?

Right now I use the addon MeasureIt and endlessly adjusting the edges so the corners becomes as I want.

From the top of my head, the only way to do that is to generate your mesh procedurally with an add-on like Animation Nodes or Sverchok.
Here’s an example with Animation Nodes :

And here’s the related blend file attached to this message (you need to enable Animation Nodes and measureit before opening it and click on “Show” in the measureit panel to show the angles). The node tree may be more complicated than it needs to be but for a more complex mesh it may get dirty anyway, so depending on your use case you may be better off modeling the normal way and changing your angles manually.

Attachments

Control 2 angles of a box simultaneously (animation nodes + measureit).blend (584 KB)

1 Like

Thank you. I will try at least and se if it helps. =)

how complex is your model ?

I’m making a models for a low poly game so it’s not to complex.
I did a camera and we desided it would look better with a bit rounded corners so I aded a few edges and tried to make the corners even.
I ended up remaking the camera instead because I got enoyed when I did not get the angles right at the corners. =)
Im fairly new to Blender so I desided to find the answer to my problem to learn until another time, that time when it’s not easier to redo the model.

I wish Blender had a parametric way of doing things too. At least as an addon. It’s such a great program.

[Solved] I figure it out how to do what I was asking for.

could you tell us about it ?

Also, to mark a thread as solved, you have to edit the first post, go in advanced mode and you will see a dropdown menu to select “SOLVED”

PS: I didn’t think of it but did you try archimesh ?

I give it a try and explain what I did. Bare with me cause english is not my native language and I do make spelling mistakes.

To make corners rounded that is square I did as follows.
I made a box.
Then added extra edges with ctrl R. Three on each each side of the box. Ofcourse one can make the edges in other ways too.
Make sure that the new edges are the same exact length from their respective corners.

I marked the two outer lines on one side of the box and used S + Y to move them towards the corner to where I wanted them to be. I used MeasureIt to keep track of that.
Then I moved the two outer edges on the other side with S + X to the same distance from the corner as the first edges I moved.

Last I marked the corners and moved them with alternate S + Y and S + X until I got the angle I wanted.

The corners will now apear rounded with a subdivider.

And the extra edges can be removed with X disolve.

I hope this description is understandable and that it can help someone else.