Best way to animate bubbles?

I have also asked this question on the Sketchfab forums - what would be the best way to animate bubbles coming from the sea chest?

I’m guessing I could animate some low poly crescent-shaped objects, but I’m also wondering about an animation that plays on a transparent polygon?

Thanks
(image below)

hey, hi there…

I always meant to reply to this thread…

I’m on an outdated computer, running outdated software, so I haven’t seen the full sketchfab thing…

So, are the bubbles animated and flowing upwards? If so, how are you animating them?

If you’re animating them by hand… good luck with that…

If you’re using a particle systerm, maybe add a texture and vary it’s offset a bit, so it appears to rotate around the bubble a bit…

TBH, I’m just throwing up a couple of ideas.

Randy

I would suggest the use of Newtonian or Keyed Particles.
eg

Hey thanks for your replies,

revolt_andy, I did end up animating this by hand so to speak - I animated a bubble moving left and right then parented this to an empty that moved up, giving the bubble a bit of a wave as it rose. Once this looked okay I copied it a couple times and staggered the timelines.

Sketchfab scene is uploaded here.

burnin, thanks for the link, I’ve just started to play with particles so this is going in my library!

Forgive me, but I’m a bit confused about what you are actually asking about. First you ask what is the best way to animate bubbles coming from the chest. Animating bubbles rising from the chest is a job for particle physics. There’s a bit to learn the first time you use particle physics, lots of settings, but it’s not hard stuff to learn.

You don’t need to learn keyed or newtonian particles to do this. (btw, thanks burnin, I’ve never used those before, so I learned something new). A simple flat plane can be a particle emitter, but particle are emitted in the direction of the plane’s normal. As long as the plane’s normal is facing upwards and particles aren’t affected by gravity, they will rise. Once you have particles rising, you can affect their direction by using force field physics. It’s really not that hard, takes experimentation to get the exact look are looking for.

What confused me was the part about using low poly crescent-shaped objects and transparent polys. This had me thinking you were looking for a way to animate highlights and shadows on the bubble as it rises. This wouldn’t be that hard to do with particles and force field physics.

Hadn’t thought about it at the time, but if you are hand animating the bubbles, you can add variance to the bubbles by using noise modifiers. Basically you can affect a straight path by adding noise to that path in the f-curve editor.

Randy

I don’t think you got anything wrong. I was trying to achieve two crescent shapes in the look of the bubbles.

And I got one result with some low poly spheres using keyframe animation.

Having achieved that, I am now learning about particles.

yup, it’s only couple of minutes to set, then it takes forever or a moment to find the satisfying bubbling version :smiley:

https://media.giphy.com/media/1AiIVTo5MTSKBOQcZc/giphy.gif