Dantes

This is Dantes (the fat robot). It’s a personal project I started to try some new techniques and because I love steampunk robots. All done using Blender, some Hard Ops for a few parts. Rendered using Cycles and Compositing in Photoshop :slight_smile:

39 Likes

i really really liked it so much i my self have made a robot thing like this, but it,s not as much nice as this one,i have 3 questions, if you dont mind1- the diffuse red color of the robot, is it just a flat texture ? or do you use some kind of dirt and noise texture to create this kind of fx to the robot body2- do you prefer to use pump or normal maps for the scratches on the robot body ?3- because it,s a robot body, which means it,s a metal body, should i set the metallic all the way up to 1 or is there another trick i dint know about

This is the greatest robot ever made. Please put a flame coming out of his ass though.

Hi alf0, thanks! Sure, Ill try to answer to your questions. 1)I use a bunch of nodes to create the diffuse texture, including a metal base, some scratch textures and then using the bpainter Add-on I paint all the decals of the edges manually and mix them with some decal texture. 2) I prefer to use bump maps because I create them using the nodes. I do this because when I make some changes on the textures I dont want to be creating new normal maps all the time, but I do think normal maps sometimes work better. 3) If you want something like chromed metal you should go all the way to 1 on the metallic option. In this case because it has some orange paint over the body I put the metallic around .7 so it looks more like paint. Hope that helps! Cheers

2 Likes

Love this design, and nice work on the materials and rendering. Would love to see a whole set of these little guys fighting it out with each other :smiley:

simple and beatiful!

hahaha Thanks! Well that is definitely a good idea, cheers!

Thanks so much! Yeah I’m definitely thinking about making more robots like this :slight_smile:

Hi alf0, thanks! Sure, Ill try to answer to your questions. 1)I use a bunch of nodes to create the diffuse texture, including a metal base, some scratch textures and then using the bpainter Add-on I paint all the decals of the edges manually and mix them with some decal texture. 2) I prefer to use bump maps because I create them using the nodes. I do this because when I make some changes on the textures I dont want to be creating new normal maps all the time, but I do think normal maps sometimes work better. 3) If you want something like chromed metal you should go all the way to 1 on the metallic option. In this case because it has some orange paint over the body I put the metallic around .7 so it looks more like paint. Hope that helps! Cheers

Great work! A wonderful character.
Would make a great vinyl collectable toy (if the sharp detail could be kept)

Look really cool.

But I think the feet are a little bit too small and too filigree.

What is the left hand supposed to be?

Great work! Love the style and proportions.

NIce job!!!

This is an awesome model and great lighting for it.

The one thing that confused me a bit is the furnace in front. The glowing coal inside makes it look like it is the same color as the paint on the robot, so the furnace doesn’t look like it’s a room inside the robot but like a flat door without depth. Just the 3d view without the textures made me realise there is some volume inside the robot. I’d make the walls of the furnace inside a lot darker. Great work nontheless.

Thanks man!

Thanks so much! I actually had some problems with the lighting on that door and now that you mentioned it I decided to finally change it. It definitely looked flat so I think I figured what the problem was. I posted the new version on my artstation page. Thanks again for the help. Cheers!! https://www.artstation.com/carlossosa

Nice robot!

It certainly could use some sort of anti-pollution system :slight_smile:

Very cool my friend!

– Oliver

Fantastic sytle! It’s got real character. Love it! :smiley:

Thanks Bliz! cheers