hook modifier help please

Im trying to have a short loop of hose where one end moves a bit with an empty and the other end remains fixed like connecting a short hose to a cylinder that moves slightly as it extends or retracts. Im trying to get this result with a weight paint gradient that when one end of the hose moves, the hose flexes naturally along its short length with a fall off. Included is the blend file if someone would take a peek at it i’d be much thankfull…

Attachments

hook on hose.blend (143 KB)

I’ve never tried using the hook modifier to control a mesh like this. Playing with your file a bit, I think the weight painting will be hard to get right, but it depends upon how much movement you need of the empty. If the empty barely moves, then I might work.

If you’re using an armature to control the cylinder and it doesn’t move much, then I’d be tempted to just use an armature to control the hose. A simple 3 bone IK chain would do the trick.

Another way to do this would be to use hooks on a curve, and a curve modifier on the mesh. This would work well if you’re just using empties to control stuff. See attached .blend.

Randy

Attachments

hook on hose1.blend (129 KB)

Thanks Randy in a van somewhere by the river. Thats exactly what I want. The curve idea works well