Portuguese Historical Figures

Hi Guys, I’m working on some portuguese historical figures that Im making available for free, for people to 3D print at home.
It is kind of a local thing, since not many people outside of Portugal and a few other countries would care about it, and are mostly figures not often mentioned in the Anglophone world. Here is a photo of a print of Vasco da Gama and a render of the model.

And I started working on another guy, Prince Henry the Navigator:

Would love to know what you think and if you have any critics and advice on it!

I started a patreon to try to get some support for it, since I’m posting the models, but I don’t feel it will get much track hehe, anyway, you have the download info there too! here: https://www.patreon.com/frederico4d

Nice project.
I think art and creativity, when used well, are effective teaching assistants.

I’m British and in my 50s. My generation was actually taught about these guys at school and the important role of Portugal in kick-starting a more outward looking Europe. I don’t know if UK education is still as good today.

The modelling is good with clear details which is great for 3D printing.
I think an attractive visual reference like this can help the learning process. Imagine these figures being passed around a history classroom.

When I was in school (in the US in the 1960’s) we learned about Vasco da Gama.
Haven’t heard much since.

Thank you guys, that is great to know people mention them in class!
I’m reading chronicles written in the same century or so when that happened and the writer already mentions that the Portuguese don’t write or tell much about their own works, so that was one of the aspects that motivated me to do this, I cannot write, but I can do some modelling :wink: and of course, I also want to get better at it!

how many verts for models ?

interesting characters in 3D
you could also upload to blendswap
and may be have 2 quality medium for free and high with a min price on it

there are so many characters I mean how many do you want to do ?

note: there are some nice material for Bronze available!

thanks
happy cl

Hi Ricky, Thank you! it has about 850k, I did decimate it a bit but it is because I didnt want it to go over 1M tris, so it is not too heavy on the users. And honestly it doesnt need more for the amount of details it has. So Im already giving away the full version. What I’m doing is to sell a commercial version on cgtrader, while on other websites is under CC non-comercial, but for free. I know this will not force anyone to buy it, but it is just in case people want to help me out anyway, since I don’t have a way to enforce it, and I really want the full model to be available to the 3D printing community. Ill definitly have a post on blendswap too, thanks for the tip!

I hope I manage to do about 10 characters until Im bored with it, Im just working on weekends here and there (unless I get some track on patreon but that is not very likelly), so It will take a while, but should go well, it is not like I have ever stopped modelling for the last 15 years or so :wink:

I should try more materials indeed, my metal one doesn’t work all that great.

there are several ways to get some old bronze or copper mat
Ex: using paint dirt is one way
and no need for super complex nodes set up
you might even find some on blendswap

good luck and thanks for sharing
one day I might need some old character like that !

here are some links

also on this thread here

happy bl

Here is an update on Prince Henry the Navigator. He was the mind behind the age of exploration in Portugal, through his efforts he had his men go and discover places that were feared and was able to break those physical and psychological barriers, uniting the world a little more. The fears were not unfounded, while there were no monsters and the ocean didn’t fall into the infinite abyss, many men lost their lives in the process, not in war against other man necessarily, but in the effort of finding new places and paths around the world.

1 Like