Foundry's Athera

I’m surprised no one has yet posted this announcement. From NAB 2018 in Las Vegas, Foundry unveiled their cloud collaboration platform Athera for VFX. They use Google’s Cloud platform for Athera.
If you look closely, they have Blender in there. If you noticed, Autodesk Maya and 3D Studio Max are absent.

Autodesk’s absence is no surprise considering they want to offer the same services through their Forge platform, even though it’s just Autocad at the moment.

Blimey that looks significant.

I guess Blender is possibly being used here a little as a negotiation ploy ?

But even if the AD mainstays are added later. It’s hard to imagine Blender will be removed then.

I’ve often seen it said that Blender and Houdini work brilliantly together too and make for a very powerful and flexible VFX combination. interesting times

Blender is making power moves now. If you are an Indie, Blender and Houdini Indie is the way to go imo.

in former demos, as project elara, they had autodesk maya in the library. later the autodesk softwares was removed.

A lot of Modo user are also using Blender to fill in the animation and fluid dynamic side of things.

This looks exactly like Nimble collective! I wonder what they think of this?