Zbrush
    Substance painter and designer
    Pycharm

- Blender, Cycles and now Eevee
    - Rhino + Grasshopper
    - Affinity Photo
    - Gravit Designer - amazing free vector program
    - Affinity Design
    - Davinci Resolve, long time FCP/Motion user, but needed something that can work on my windows workstation, amazing Video editing software
    - Krita
    - OBS Studio for screencasts
    - InDesign for reports in the office
    - Mac's Pages for reports for freelance/private work (Hopefully Affinity Publisher gets published soon)
    - Atom for scripting
    - Makehuman for populating scenes with simple people
    - On ipad: Mostly Morpholio Trace, Affinity Photo, Concepts

I am an architect, working mostly in the conceptual design phase of large projects
    Architectural concept design with Blender | UHStudio | Youtube

Interesting topic!

I'm a modeler, visualizer and illustrator for the toy industry, advertisement agencies and various media. I've got a background as a game designer.

I use a lot of tools:

• Blender is my Swiss army knife for 3D. Among other things I use it for 3D animation, stylized 3D rendering, and for quick basemeshes existing of separate parts.

• After creating basemeshes with separate parts in Blender I switch to ZBrush to blend the parts together, sculpt details and retopologize.

— I used to sculpt in Blender Dyntopo, but since the release of ZBrush 2018 which includes Sculptris Pro, I tend to prefer that. This has also caused me to do my modeling purely in ZBrush lately, skipping the Blender basemesh creation stage.

• For specific, tough retopo and texturing cases I use 3D-Coat.

• For smooth and precise hard-surface modeling, and for 3D objects derived from 2D vector shapes I love MoI 3D. It's a great piece of software from an indie developer who worked on the first Rhinoceros version(s). It's also surrounded by a great, helpful community, and deserves more fame than it currently has.

• For 3D rendering I use Keyshot Pro if the model is created in ZBrush. Keyshot is very user-friendly, fast, and fully supports ZBrush models, including Polypaint. When creating something in Blender I use Cycles, and I'm currently testing Radeon ProRender for Blender, which is very fast, but still lacks some functions at the time I write this, such as vertex color support.

• For 2D animation I love Apple Motion. I guess it's only available for MacOS, but it's a really great and very affordable alternative to Adobe After Effects.

• For 2D vectors I use Affinity Designer. Sometimes I first use MoI to create the vector shapes, then I easily port them over to Affinity Designer to fill and/or outline the shapes.

• For post-processing and image processing I use Affinity Photo and the paid Pro version of PhotoScape X (a relatively unknown gem that also deserves more love).

• For fast batch image conversions and batch image processing I use XnConvert.

• For high-quality image denoising I use Neat Image.

• For high-quality bitmap image enlargement I use Photozoom Pro.

• For bitmap to vector conversion I use Vector Magic.

• For pixel art and pixel animation I use Aseprite.

• For voxel art I prefer MagicaVoxel.

In case you're wondering: yes, all those different keyboard shortcuts can be confusing every now and then.
    visualization pixel art illustration 3D design metinseven.com

I do mainly product design and presentation for work and a bit of everything as a hobby.

Trying to stay mainly open source:

3D
    ---
    → Blender for all mesh 3D work, rendering and video editing.
    → FreeCad for simple 3D cad
    → Solid Edge for more complex 3D cad desing
    → Netgen to generate a friendly topology mid-lowpoly SLT from STEP files, then i bake the normals from the high poly but messy STL files from CAD software.
    → Meshlab to decimate meshes in some cases.
    ---

2D
    ---
    → Krita to edit any kind of images whenever there's some brush-work involved (use the clone tool, masks...), also for minor color edits and scale images.
    → RawTherapee for any in deep color edits, playing with dinamic range, shadows and highligts, tone mapping... for any kind of images, RAW, renders... even jpegs.
    → With the Krita+RawTherapee i don't use Gimp anymore, but still have a copy arround just in case.
    → Natron for converting image sequences rendered in blender to videos, with compositing and all that stuff. But for minor things still using blender's compositor.
    → Inkscape for vector images.
    → Awesomebump to generate maps from textures in case i can't find a good texture set for a material.
    → Scribus for desktop publishing.
    ---

OS
    ---
    Manjaro Linux except when i need Solid Edge

Nice thread, I also have almost the same question

Gimp (photo editing) (can be used commercially)

Inkscape (vector drawing) (can be used commercially)

Gravit Designer (vector drawing) (can be used commercially)

Krita (drawing) (can be used commercially)

Blackmagic Design DaVinci Resolve free (video editing) (can be used commercially)

Blackmagic Design Fusion free (compositing / vfx) (can be used commercially)

Natron (compositing / vfx) (can be used commercially)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123