Tutorials written by women

I am tired of hearing men talk all of the time.
Are there any tutorials written by women?

May I ask what is the relevance of the author’s gender to you?

For learning purposes - if a color of voice is tiring to you, read a book… otherwise seek professional help :wink: (because the problem could be in concentrating thought flow or elsewhere ie. dyslexia)

If a woman writes one, then they write one - if they don’t, then they don’t.

So take your gender counting instigation somewhere else and waste other people’s time with your nonsense. Don’t do it here.

i could tell you a few, but since i’m a man i don’t want to tire you out by telling you.

I kind of understand you totolehero If every time I looked for Youtube videos about art, they were all done by women, I would perhaps want to find ones that are done by men. Gender shouldn’t matter on a pragmatic basis but on a personal one, we are all attracted to our own. Susan Arango has some Youtube videos you might be interested in and if you search for her name, maybe she has done written tutorials too.

I firmly believe that all video tutorials should be voiced by either Sir Patrick Stewart or Dame Judi Dench.

1 Like

I honestly pay no attention to the gender, only to the content. IMO the only people discriminating in a non-discriminatory context are those claiming to be discriminated against.

Oh, and yes, there are some very good tutorials out there by women. There are also some very good tutorials by men, and children.

I don’t pay attention to gender either but as a parallel, perhaps because I am English, I get tired of hearing the dominating American accent on videos and it would be refreshing to hear an English accent for a change. I don’t consider this discrimination and I have nothing against Americans, I just think we feel reassured if from time to time we can hear something we are closer to. It’s the reason that people from minority ethnic groups tend to stick together - not because they are predudiced but becuse they feel more at home. It might be hard to see this if you are a man in a male dominated field but the relative few who are not male should not have to feel like the odd ones out. Even if the OP is wrong, forming a reactionary lynch mob won’t help. It’s the same reaction that caused both MIGTOW and the nastier extremes of feminism.

1 Like

I do think I understand what the OP is trying to say. The tone and timbre of a person doing the tutorial can have an effect on how well it sinks in. Though there are some good tutorials out there, I just can’t get past the voice, so I don’t watch them, or try to figure out things with the sound off. Back in the day, when I used Lightwave, there was a chap who did brilliant tutorials, but his voice wsa very deep and sonorous, the result was, 20 mins into it, I actually always started to doze off, seriously!

I do know VScorpianC has a youtube channel, but other than that, dunno.

I definitely have favourite channels, simply because of the person, Darren Lile is one, just like his whole character and the wya he talks, it definitely helps things to lock in the old noggin. So I doubt the OPs view is about gender as much as tone.

I just came across an article on acting for animation written by Dana Boadway-Masson. You can find it here.

The only way you would see more tutorials voiced by women is if more of them became interested in 3D programs and CG work, and we should let the women themselves decide if they want to do that type of work instead of men trying to force the interest into them in the name of “social justice” (like what Google and friends are doing now with the STEM field).

You should generally put content before gender anyway. Sure, some men have grating voices, but there are many who really know what they are talking about. If gender became a major issue when looking through tutorials then where do you stop, do you narrow it down further and require that the tutorial is done by a black or hispanic women?

I can imagine it would as irritating to a guy as all tutorials having a female voice over. There could be a tech work around like importing the sound into audacity and lifting the frequency to female voice average of 165 to 250 hertz.

Yes there are. Next question? Have you tried the vast expanse of tutorials available on youtube, some of which are created by women?

Are you looking for a tutorial on something specific written by a woman? What is the underlying question here?

I’m reading it as: “do Blender tutorials presented by women exist?”

The answer: yes.

Very often when I see this discussion I notice that the person who broaches the subject tends to be of the demographic that they wish to see represented, which says to me that maybe this could be a calling to them to fill in the void, to be the trailblazer and to be part of the solution they wish to see.

Just a thought.

1 Like

maybe you just need some better speaker or headphones.

most sound cards have something atleast vaguely resembling an EQ. give it try.

haha, Morgan Freeman would be a good one as well :laughing:

As has been said, I don’t see how the gender (or is it sex? it gets confusing these days) even is a factor.

I’m more irritated sometimes by the lack of knowledge some tutorials present, but since many are for free we can only thank the people putting themselves out there and hope for the self correcting system that online communities can be.

Go on a search quest on youtube or google/bing/yahoo/duckduck or whatever tickles your fancy and YOU WILL find plenty of tutorials made by women.

OK, I’ll bite.
If you work in the world of CG, games or VFX and pop up from behind your monitors, looking around you’ll see the reason why you find so many tutorials by men.

There are significantly more men than women in our industry on the artist side (some areas have more females though than others, but in general it is male heavy… or is it heavy males :wink:).

It doesn’t make sense to go into speculations why this is (for the sake of peace here), it just is, therefore mathematically the probability of a female making a tutorial is lower than that of a male publishing one.

So again, search and thou shall find…