Blender VSE truncates video strip upon importing

I have noticed that in Blender 2.78c the video sequencer trucates the video footage that is imported onto. Not the audio strip, which imports fine.

In the example, I try to import a footage that is 9735 frames long. It will import the audio track ok, but the video information is truncated, importing only 9463.

Is there any way to solve this? Of course, the footage runs ok in any media player, and the full 9735 frames are played.

Thanks for a quick help. Regards…

Any idea?:frowning:

more data needed… for example: what’s the frame rate of video and your project Properties settings?

Audio always fits :wink:

I am not sure frame rate settings has something to do. No matter what frame rate settings I enter, Blender VSE always import those same 9463 frames. The clip is 9735 frames long. Audio always fit, as you correctly say. Blender seems to “deliberately” drop the last few frames…Anyway here is a screenshot of the Properties settings as well as the footage properties as Mediaplayer shows.

I am sure I must be missing something…

Thanks for the help…

I am terribly sorry…:no:

The footage is recorded with an LG G4 (a wonderful mobile phone to record footage with, its camera is flawless…good full HD output…)…but the frame rate had to be set to CUSTOM in Blender VSE: 30/1.030, whichs throws out a 29.13 fps; instead of the 30 fps rate I had set, for the wrong reasons.

That did the trick, and the full footage was finally ingested into Blender.

Thanks for your hlp…:slight_smile:

Yeah NTSC is not actually 30fps its, as you’ve discovered, just a bit less. Although TBH I thought that it was 29.97

NTSC is indeed 29.97fps. Also, as Blenders VSE is frame based, and the video file has 9735 frames, no matter what frame rate you choose, it should always show as 9735 frames. And also: it still doesn’t fit if you calculate the length in time for both the audio and the video in both 30fps and 29.97fps:
9463 frames of video at 29.97fps is 315.75s of footage.
9735 ‘frames’ of audio at Blenders setting of 30fps is 324.5s of audio.

What I think is going on, is variable frame rate. Many phones don’t record at a fixed frame rate. Blender doesn’t handle those video files well, again because Blender is frame based, it doesn’t care about the length of each frame, only the number of frames.

Yeah Blender does not like Vari frame rate recordings, but I thought they only came from screen captures?

Another user of the LG G4 (or the same, who knows :)) complaining about variable frame rate, so yes, I think that is the problem. Or at least part of the problem.
But fear not! Handbrake can fix it:

http://www.johnchow.com/an-easy-fix-for-editing-variable-frame-rate-videos/