BGE no more?

I guess that’s it for BGE in 2.8 according to this article:

Yeah, go look at code for 2.8 and you will see they already removed everything related to BGE. I think they did it yesterday.

scrolling down on the tweet about EOL/retiring of BGE which was posted 17 Apr 2018 gives additional information
https://twitter.com/themikepan/status/986308335438671872

Pablo Vazquez‏Verified account @PabloVazquez_ Apr 18

What  most people fail to realize is that 2.8 is both 2.80 in a few months  and 2.89 in a few years. A lot can happen there. I'm positive that with  all the exposure from 2.80, a motivated developer(s) will show up to  make a nice. modern Game Engine for Blender.

Ton Roosendaal
‏Verified account @tonroosendaal
Apr 18

I still strongly believe that a GE is a crucial feature for Blender. The removal is a technical decision (to progress with 2.8) not a decision against a BGE in general. The old GE is just end-of-live code that needs serious design overhaul.

My hopes for game recorded AI/physics/gamepad-puppet-control input are not lost just yet.

I mean, let’s not sugar-coat it - Godot, UE4 and Unity are a way better than BGE and will always be better. I hope devs finally understand this and will focus on Blender as robust content authoring tools (among other things, just not as GE) so that there are no issues getting content to/from above mentioned engines.

And Armory is super promising if you want deeper Blender integration. BGE was about the worst solution available in 2018 for Blender game development.

upbge.org exists - I have 1 coder helping me with GLSL we hope to port into my own fork of upbge.
https://github.com/BluePrintRandom/blender

we are aiming first to for IBL
then a IBL pre- rendered grid

then we move for forward+ using bvhtree acceleration

upbge itself is remarkably capable as is.

I see bge as very useful now to NPR folks especially once good tracking is cheap

I was waiting for BluePrintRandom to chime in :smiley:

is there a stable build of 2.8 with updge and eevee?

EEVEE only has realtime sample atm, no caching of light probes.

a real game engine needs to be able to gather a grid of probes and then pre-compute irredence maps

however blender internal can use the same technique to add super fast pbr

BI is as dead as BGE in 2.8

Please note this if you make UPBGE a permanent fork, a game engine needs more than pretty graphics to woo users. You also need good tools (and ones that have a visual approach and can be deployed with little to no code). The aggressive built-it-yourself mentality (should you stick with that) is not going to attract people very well and the engine cannot just rely on the zero-pipeline model/level creating workflow.

Also, if you’re going to become a C++ developer to keep the project going, I do hope that the code you write will be a bit cleaner, more readable, and more self-explanatory than what I used to see from your Python scripts (otherwise it will cause contributors to run away rather than help).

upbge still has blender bub

we still have internal to, I just want to push it as far as possible.

I will be accpeting patches for blender NPR**

I eagerly await Ton’s interactive engine.

However I plan on merging in Kupomans https://github.com/Kupoman/blendergltf and setting it up to export GE meshes, and save them, and load them back into blender and save them to blends.

we already have this branch - https://github.com/BluePrintRandom/blender/tree/ge_mesh_builder setup to edit meshes in bge
(add/ remove geometry using py)

if we can sculpt, dynotopo, and erode and save it to a grid I think world machine may have a contender also.

That was one long surgery. Hurray?

Trying to keep BGE alive at this one is like selfishly trying to keep a suffering pet alive. Just let the poor thing die. You’re trying to build a castle on a foundation made of mud and garbage.

Yeah - look where BGE was used for. I don’t know any game or application.
It was cool when it came out - today it is just out performed.

Plus it is not just only the game engine (logic) but also the render engine that is important to keep in mind.

Unity and others are just well working standards and accessible today too.

A “castle” on a foundation made of mud and garbage would be the most upscale shanty around.:stuck_out_tongue:

Glad to see the fat getting cut. A lean, mean, content creation machine should be the goal. Any time I want to prototype something in real-time, I can just launch Unreal.

You woefully underestimate the thoroughness in which BPR tied himself to the game engine (not only in terms of hobbies and dreams, but emotions as well).

It’s not going to work, even Godot (which is just as free as the BGE but making it easy to sell games commercially) is not seen as an option.

I only expect that BF won’t waste time making a new aproximation to a game engine, I think that it’s enough experiment with this feature. It wasn’t work, it doesn’t work and it won’t work.

Declaring the interactive engine a bad idea while we don’t even have a design doc. is really jumping the gun.

The initial idea is that it will be seen as a tool for prototyping and animation (whether it can make full-fledged games is not yet set in stone).