.blend files in Unity

I’m trying to save .blend files in my Unity Asset folder, but Unity says it can’t read Blender.

I tried unsuccessfully for my Win 7 machine to open Blender with (doy) Blender, but Blender icon never appears. ?!

Browse (to)…

I must be missing something.

I’m not sure I get what you’re trying to do. Are you trying to open a .blend file using Unity?

Or is the .blend file not opening with Blender?

I’m trying to save a .blend file in Unity. But Unity says it can not open it. I’ve a feeling Unity can not open the .blend file because Windows cannot identify what .exe to use with a .blend. When I try to point a .blend to the Blender .exe, the Blender icon doesn’t appear in the Windows dialog box. (per images)

You’re trying to SAVE a .blend in Unity, or use a .blend as an asset? If it’s the former I have no experience with that and didn’t even know that was a thing.

If its it’s the latter: Have you tried associating .blend files with blender? Not sure of the exact process in Windows 7.

On a somewhat related note, I never directly import .blend files in Unity. Too many potential issues, such as importing “helper” objects, or the mismatched axes. I always export to FBX manually from Blender to ensure I only export the objects I want, and I can export with the axes fixed. An added benefit is I have a builtin backup as well.