EEVEE Crashes on New Surface Pro in latests builds

Hi everyone. I was using Blender 2.8 builds on my Surface Pro 2017, but at some point saomething was changed in Blender, related to shaders because the latests builds crash on my SP everytime y change a parameter in a material. If for example I hit “Use nodes”, blender crashes. If I change the color, it crashes and so on with every single parameter. I guess something in the shader code is not compatible with the SP Intel HD Graphics 620 .
Anybody can shed a light on this? are there any SP users experiencing the same issue?

Hi.
Developers are making big changes in the last few days, many things are not working and there are crashes. So wait a few weeks until this becomes a bit more stable.

Yes, I know, but it’s just a problem on the Surface so I was asking to see if any other Surface user has the same problem or is just me

Well, today’s build: 2018-04-20 16:55, Hash: 18f239d, Branch: blender2.8

Works here: SurfacePro 3, i5-4300U (HD4400), 8GB RAM, Win10 pro (updated)

Ran from command prompt with --debug argument.
IIRC, some time ago, couple of times it didn’t start. Simply quits. Issue was solved by clearing preferences and startup files.

So I have to run it with the --debug argument?

And did you try to create a material in EEVEE in the node editor?

No, that’s what i did. If you have a problem, clear preferences and startup files. Start FRESH!

Yes, eevee and cycles, both work.

I cant find those files, and since I’m running Blender fom the extracted .zip, is it really needed? where are those files?
thanks for the answer

C:\Users%user%\appdata\roaming\blender foundation\blender\

tip: creating a config in the “version” folder in the blender app will direct blender to put all the configs in there, not appdata.

it also can crash easily on Mac - well it is under heavy dev so keep that in mind

Yes, I didn’t mean like I was dissapointed or something, but 2.80 don’t crashes when creating a material in my other computers, an Asus ROG Strix, and imac Retina and an older PC, it just crashes on my Surface Pro, and didn’t crash one month ago so I was just asking if any other users had the same issue, but yes, I’ll just wait :yes:

Blender 2.8 crashes on Open. Hardware: Dell Inspiron 15 7000 Gaming, Windows 10 64-bit; GPU - GeForce GTX 1050.

Hopefully this will get fixed soon.

Did you removed preferences and start anew? Fix yourself :wink:

Blender 2.8 crashes on a lot of things.

General reminder that commercial software is never let outside in the state that Blender 2.8 is currently in. It’s simply too early in development for this sort of report. On finished software, finding a crash is a sign of something that got overlooked in testing. With 2.8 right now, it’s likely to be something closer to “oops, I forget a comma this morning because I was coding before I’d had coffee”.

Absolutely, I understand 2.8 is in alpha so no complaints.

And yep, coffee… I need moar

Indeed, I expect 2.8 to crash a lot on many things. But whats weird to me is that it only crashes in my surface Pro when I create or edit a material, but not on my other PCs, it seems that when it has to compute a shader it goes whacky, but it doesent happen in previous versions (from a month or so) so I’m guessing it’s related to the surface GPU which is an Intel HD Graphics 620 an the shader libraries it supports. Obviously if none of the coders have surfaces pro 2017 they won’t notice. I posted here to check if any other user has the same issue with a surface pro 2017, I didn’t intended to create a thread to say "Hey, 2.8 crashes a lot! they have to fix it! obviously.
I tried deleting the preferences but it keeps crashing when creating or editin a material.