3d Artist/Modeler/Animator wanted to create 3d animation for a short film

WinR.

WinR is a short film (7 pages) about a woman who uses a virtual reality app (called WinR) to train to her to get better at winning arguments, consequently she starts winning all the arguments in her relationship and her boyfriend struggles to adjust to this new reality finding himself feeling very emasculated.

Who we are.

I am an actor and writer. I mostly do comedy. I have written the script and will play the part of the fragile male. Alex Gudminstad who is directing has also helped develop and rewrite the script. We will be shooting with a small crew, the film is designed to be able to be made with a low budget but we will be aiming for high production values.

Please see the links for examples of our work. We are both reasonably experienced professionals and are doing this project out of love (and kind of out of hate as well but certainly not for commercial reasons). It’s entirely self funded, very unlikely to make any money but will hopefully come out well and be something that everyone involved can be proud of. We do intend to submit it to festivals and get it seen by industry people so although we can’t promise anything hopefully it might be a nice little project to be attached to.

As everyone else is working on this for free we wondered if there might also be an animator out there who would be willing to do this as a portfolio project or because they like the idea?

What we need.

There are two sections of VR in the script. Both of them are very short (approx 30 secs each). We are hoping to find an animator to make this for us. To be honest I have no idea exactly how difficult this would be but I would hope it will be reasonably simple. It’s really a case of making some (hopefully) simple 3d models and some crude animation.

Within this VR app that our hero uses there are 3d models of our two actors having an argument. The two scenes are basically the same short scene twice but in the second one our hero makes a better argument and defeats her opponent (me). Given that the only difference here is the dialogue the scenes will be pretty similar. Maybe if possible the girl might have a different victory celebration after the second one? Or maybe the camera moves might be different?

What we want is two 3d models who look enough like the actors that the audience can tell who they are supposed to be. They certainly don’t need to look photo-realistic. This is supposed to be an app which is available now so it doesn’t need to pass as ‘reality’. It will totally work if the models are a bit crude and blocky. Something that looks like computer game graphics from 5/10 years ago would be great, it could even enhance the humor if the models are slightly wonky.

We do need to see the models lips moving in a way that could plausibly fit with the dialogue, again the lip syncing doesn’t need to be too sophisticated. It would be super cool if we can get some camera moves as well within this world as though it was a computer game. The camera rotating round the combatants when we start like the start of a Tekken type game would be fantastic if possible? In fact Tekken would be a good reference visually. Except instead of fighting the characters are just having an argument with each other.

As I say I have no idea what is or isn’t possible or how hard this stuff is so maybe i’m being totally unrealistic and asking for way too much. If so please tell me to do one. If not and you think you could do this and might want to help then please get in touch.

We are looking to shoot the film in July/August and aiming to have post production completed by October so ideally the animation would be completed by August. We already know that i’ll be in the film. We’ll be casting the female role within the next month or so so you’d have photos of the actors to work from.

We would obviously credit the animator and they would be able to use the finished film as part of their portfolio. We will also be entering the film into festivals. We’d also be very grateful. And I’d certainly be willing to use whatever abilities I have to help you out in any way I can in exchange. For example, as an actor, I am happy to use my acting powers to phone into work one day and claim that i’m a doctor and you’re too sick to come in. Or I could do some voiceover for a project you’re doing. Or help you with a script. Or something.

I am happy to send the script for this on request. Please email me for more details. My email is [email protected]

Look forward to hearing from you.

Thanks.