Questions on how and where to make a game!

Hi!

Ok, so I’m new on this forum so I have no idea where to put this. So if this is wrong, Im sorry! :slight_smile:

I got to know Blender many years ago, and loved it. But the interest sort of faded for a while, and now it’s back :smiley:
So is the interest for coding!

So the problem I have now, is that I really want to make a game. A horror-type game. I think it’s called a survival-game? Correct me if I’m wrong. So the main issue is, that I have NO idea where to start.
I have downloaded Blender 2.79, Unity 5 and Unreal Engine 4 to my mac and have played around with it. And I have also searched on youtube and google, but I kinda didn’t get the answer I wanted.

I have tried to make an apartment both in Blender, Unity AND Unreal Engine but it seems like Im doing something wrong.
Dont know what, I just know. :stuck_out_tongue: So what I want to know is, is there anybody out there who can give me any tips and advice on where and how to start? And PLEEASE! Dont give me comments like I’m getting way over myself, or that I should start with something easier like a 2d-ball rolling game or something. I kinda know how Blender works, just uncertain to the other programs.

So the questions I have, is; Do anyone have any tips/tricks/advice on:

• Where to start? Like do I start modelling a whole apartment in one go, in for example Blender? Or do I make it room-by-room and add it to different levels?

• If I model a room/house in Unity or UE, are there any good tutorials that shows how?

• Should I model the room/house by itself, then model game assets?

• And if I make something in Blender with textures and all, can I then import it to any of the other programs? Like will the textures and all follow along, or do I add that in the program I’m importing it into?

So sorry for a long and messy post with a lot of questions all over the place! I just want to learn, and see IF I can make it. If not, then it will be a fun experience and I will hopefully get the knowledge I need.

Thanks in advance! :slight_smile:

As you have no clue, I strongly suggest you start small (really small). You can always add things later, but starting small will save you time and helps you sorting your thoughts.

First of all: you model in an asset editor. This means after the day you get an asset. it Is no game it is just an asset.

So start with an empty room and store it somewhere.

Now think about what you want to do in this room. Do not think about a second room. Think about this room. Maybe you want to walk around in this room? Think about where to place the camera, how to move the camera. And here you are … you need behavior. This is what distinguishes game development from asset creation. You need to think about behavior. Your assets right now are still just a room and a camera.

Now you might noticed you can come very close towards the walls with your camera. Maybe you do not want that. Think about a method how you can adjust the behavior not to come to close to the walls.

Now you can add a Table. Back to the asset editor -> create the table -> add it to your room.

Check your camera movement. Find a way not to float over the table.

Add a wardrobe with doors. Ensure the player can’t crash through the wardrobe.
Think about how the player can request the doors to open. Add that behavior.

Think about how the doors can be locked a the beginning. Think about how the player can request to unlock the door.

Add a key to the table.

Think about picking up the key